Spinoff: Do you feel it's appropriate for your husband/SO to recognize you on Mother's Day?

Reading an earlier question (where the debate was already sparked) got me curious. Personally, I don't care if my husband doesn't get me anything for MD. Ever since I was pregnant with his first (my second) child though, he has. Infact, he was overseas when we found out about the pregnancy and a few short months later came MD, he sent me 3 bouquets of flowers over 3 days for the occasion. It was really sweet, we weren't even married yet. The years to follow, the gifts from him on MD have diminished but that's okay! I'm not his mom :) but on the other hand, it is nice when the father of your kids (whether you're married to him or not) shows appreciation for you on Mother's Day. That being said, even a simple "Happy Mother's Day" from him is enough for me.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:31 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• I think it would be inappropriate of him to NOT recognize me on Mother's Day. I am the mother of his children, and he does a great job of showing me how much he loves me on that day!

Answer by missanc at 9:32 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I'm not sure the word appropriate is the one I'd use, but I AM a mother, the mother of his child and a good one at that :)  So yes, he should acknowledge it and he does, not just Mothers Day but everyday.  Other people whom I am not a mother to wish me a happy day, so why wouldn't my own husband?

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:38 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I always get a card and gift from him and the kids. I would feel weird if he didn't do it. When Father's Day comes, I always do the same for him.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 9:35 AM on May. 5, 2011

• yes, i do...if not for anything else, to teach the 6yo how to recognize the day. once the child is old enough to do so on his own, dad can step away. but acknowledgement in any form is always nice, even if its weekly...which it just about is around here.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:55 AM on May. 5, 2011

• He better!! haha... although I am not HIS mom (and I make sure he remembers and acknowledges here) I am the mother of HIS children... so, I would say appropriate and I would be sad if he didn't - oh yeah, he did that one year.. bad decision!! lol.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:48 AM on May. 5, 2011

• It would be nice if he did something seeing as how our kids are too young to really do anything. If he doesn't, and usually he does not, it's no big deal. I'm mom every day, not just once a year but it would be nice to be recognized once in a while. We're so busy with kids, house, DH's less than stellar job, and relatives who think our lives revolve around theirs that these days acknowledgment is rare.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:23 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I don't think it's appropriate to set a day aside to celebrate mothers - Mothers should be celebrated every day. My husband knows that and does special things for me all the time... We don't do anything special for MD.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:51 AM on May. 5, 2011

• We dont have to much of an income to do special things, but even a "happy Mothers Day" would do for me. And he does try to make up for not being able to get me something nice. To me gifts are just the iceing on the cake. Holidays are meant to cherish the people that you love and that are around you. So a gift is lovely but the thought that he remembers to tell me happy mothers day is even better. He even tells the kids to tell me happy mommys day.
    afarmer

Answer by afarmer at 12:03 PM on May. 5, 2011

• it didn't bother me, i am not his mother (when i was married). When my kids were younger i did have them make cards for their dad and i would buy a small gift saying its from them for fathers day but now that they are older its on them to do it. he isn't my dad.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 2:20 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I love the Marshall Jewelry Store's advertisement on the radio right about this time. "Do you have to get your wife a gift for Mother's Day? Well, no, you don't, she's not your mother. But, if you know what's good for you, you better. Afterall, she IS the mother of your children." (paraphrasing, of course, as I don't know the EXACT dialogue.)

My dad has always done something special for my mom on Mother's day, just like my mother does something special for my dad on Father's day.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 2:44 PM on May. 5, 2011