I still need advice on 18mo old who refuses to eat anything but dry cereal and graduate puffs, graham crackers etc.will not eat pieces of fruit,veg. chkn nuggets,soup,baby food, yogurt....HELP

zach2

Asked by zach2 at 9:32 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stop giving him dry cereal, graduate puffs and graham crackers. Offer him meals, and if he doesn't eat he wait until the next snack/meal. He won't starve, he will get hungry and eat.

Answer by missanc at 9:34 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I am having a similar problem with my 10 month old... All he wants is formula, puffs and veggie straws. No fruits, veggies, eggs, nothing!! So I will be interested in these answers.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:36 AM on May. 5, 2011

• what missanc said. stop giving him those foods and continue to offer the foods you would like him to be eating.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:37 AM on May. 5, 2011

• maybe it's a texture thing... have you tried adding crunchy cereal to the yogurt? What about a mesh feeder to get used to new flavors. try offering things like jam and yogurt to dip grahams in . I also agree with missanc if sensitivity to texture is ruled out. I just find it odd that the things he will eat are all the same kind of crunchy but not hard foods.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:38 AM on May. 5, 2011

• You know my eldest wanted hot dogs for a period of time and milk and -- she's still alive and kicking!! I wouldn't worry about it -- it's a phase. Keep offering the veggies and try a vitamin to supplement -- kids are funny. Sounds like a texture thing as suggested by But Mommie!!
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:43 AM on May. 5, 2011

• My doctor said that let them eat whatever they want to cus' thats the way toddlers are. But that is also a good idea to offer other foods and he will come back to it eventually. But my kids were like that but eventually as they grew and alot of other things were offered to them they eat everything now like all the vegetables and fruits. They love it. I wouldn't worry cus' this is all new to him.
    shannon979

Answer by shannon979 at 9:43 AM on May. 5, 2011

• It's understandable that your child would only want certain foods especially since he likes they way they taste.Let him try new flavors everyday, even if only a mouthful, I'd make a big deal about tasting what I cooked in front of my children while pretending they weren't looking/listening and it aroused their curiosity to at least try themselves.I also placed small slices of veggies/fruit on plates where they were playing so they could always nibble on them.Bear in mind that little stomachs can feel "full" after only a few bites so make sure he works up an appetite first.
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 9:46 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Is he getting his 2 year molars? He may want he hard crunchy foods if his mouth is hurting from teeth coming in. This is the time when kids starting asserting themselves and begin food jags though. The easiest thing for them to control is what they eat so it is common for them to start refusing foods. Don't cater to him. At about 12 months (or once they have enough teeth and eating skills) my children start eating what the rest of the family is eating. I offer them a little of what we are eating and they choose what and how much, if any, to eat. They don't get food again until the next meal or snack. They will learn to eat what food they are given at meal times and they will not starve themselves. You are not a short order cook, do not cater to your child or you will spend forever doing that!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 9:50 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I thank you all for your feedback. I do get the fact that he won't starve but I am his grandmother and find it very difficult to refuse his silent(he is not talking yet) but Firm requests as he pulls me to the cabinet or goes to the drawer or points to the fridge for what he wants.He's so darn bright . I would not care so much about what he is eating but he has a bowel problem which I believe is associated with the lack of softer different foods. Yes he is teething probably back molars as he has every other tooth. I only have him 2 days a week and he goes to day care 3 days and I know the mom is at a loss.The doctor/nurse has told her to stop giving him these other things but it really is easier said than done. He started out well but does not like anything he used to have since he was introduced to these Graduate things. I do keep trying to put other foods on his tray but usually find it on the floor in no time .
    zach2

Comment by zach2 (original poster) at 2:06 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I would make meal time fun. Or get something you want him to eat and offer it to him. When he refuses it start eating it yourself making a HUGE production over how good it is. Just go on and on and on. Also maybe try a bite of food for a bite of cracker (or whatever)

And it could be a texture thing. I know a few kids like this. At 18 months he is starting to figure out what he likes and doesn't like.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:17 AM on May. 6, 2011