Yoga and Christians?

Just something that I'm wondering if someone could explain to me. I was listening to a morning radio show on the way to work. One of the co-DJs takes Yoga classes (and she is Christian obviously). A listener wrote in (which they read on the air) asking her how she could call herself a Christian if she practiced Yoga since it's "allowing another faith into her body." She replied that she just found a center that focuses more on the workout than on the belief system (she explained a little more, but I don't have time to go into it).

I was not aware that Yogo would be considered offensive to Christianity. Explain.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 9:42 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know about harmless papzaroo - I've managed to pull things and hurt myself with yoga even without a tightrope but then again, I do not claim to be blessed with agility and stretchiness. :)

OP - there are some that believe one can not separate the practice of yoga as meditation and it's spiritual context from the exercise and what not we usually associated it with. To be quite frank, I don't even think the mediation aspect is an issue - the idea is to calm your mind and meditate, which could easily be used to clear your mind and pray. On the other hand, I'm too busy trying not to fall over on my rear to clear my mind. I'm usually thinking "breathe, breathe, don't fall, ahhhh!! no don't fall!"
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:00 PM on May. 6, 2011

• laughingyou have got to be kidding.... man some people are uptight (caller)... I feel bad for that caller can you imagine walking around daily being SO afraid that EVERY thing in life will corrupt you.  She mush have a horrible day to day with such fear.  Isnt religion/faith supposed to bring joy into your life???

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Some idiot preacher came up with that.  I read that online a while ago.  Some baptist or evangelist minister decided it was evil and blah blah blah, what an idiot

Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:48 AM on May. 5, 2011

• http://www.americanyogaassociation.org/general.html

Yoga can be a spiritual practice. A simple google search will help you understand the history or yoga. Some Christians believe that using yoga and its meditation practices stray from the teachings of Christianity. Yoga can be practice without the spiritual aspects, or pilates are an alternative. Pilates is similar to yoga, but without the spiritual component. I am not christian, but I do know christians who feel that way about yoga and I can understand why some of them feel like it conflicts with their faith.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Seems like that comes up here about twice a year. And it's funny because the people who are usually screaming about it will at the same time have no issue with their kids taking martial arts classes, even though martial arts are far more spiritual than yoga.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:21 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Good grief! Yoga is harmless ( unless you try to do it on a tightrope).
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:38 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I didn't realize it was! I am a very faithful Catholic and my day gets started with a little yoga. I don't have any "deities" in my yoga and haven't had them in any classes I have taken either. The meditation has always been focusing in on myself..sort of clearing the cobwebs and simply relaxing my mind. I suppose there is a someone that will be offended by anything.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:48 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Yoga is NOT a religion--it is an exercise. A discipline. It is used by Buddhists and a couple of other religions, but does not qualify it as a religion itself. I always try to remember that everything another person says isn't necessarily the TRUTH. People--even religious ones--lie and make up stories about things they haven't taken the time to research. They like to keep the congregation in "panic" mode, and falsities are the best way to maintain that.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:14 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Huh. I'm Catholic, and faithful, but never would have been concerned that yoga would "bring another religion into my body" because I am in control of my heart and my spirit. I can bend over and lift my leg without praying to a deity. I can find a quiet peaceful place inside of me where I am connected to my God as I know him. The two things are not mutually exclusive.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 12:06 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Not all of us believe that it is. My Methodist church holds yoga classes, and my pastor has even had us all do yoga during some of our activities. So it's definitely not something that's unanimous through Christianity. Lots of us see nothing wrong with it. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:53 PM on May. 5, 2011