Hopefully you won't ever get a divorce, if it happened would you keep his last name?

I was just curious about giving back your ex's name. An acquaintance of mine wasn't sure if she wanted to keep her married name. When her ex hubby got remarried, she became upset and she doesn't want to give up the name (her prerogative). I just wondered what you ladies think.

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 9:58 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• NO, the darn thing is 11 letters long and no one knows how to pronaounce it...lol When I got married, I went from saying my last name which is very common, to oh let me spell it for you...lol
    darter

Answer by darter at 10:18 AM on May. 5, 2011

• IDK--it might depend on how old my kids were. If they're still young, I'd probably keep it so that my kids and I would have the same last name. If they were older, I would consider going back to my maiden name.
    Honestly though, unless the split was insanely ugly, I'd probably just keep his last name because going through all the name change stuff is such a humongous hassle.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:00 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I was married 20 years and have been divorced 4. I had my named changed back when I divorced but it is only on paper I never changed it on legal documents, it was just a pain to change ss#, credit cards, banking and all that so legally on paper in my divorce records I have my maiden name back but I still go by my ex husbands last name..............I don't think it's really a big deal JMO
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 10:02 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I did get a divorce and I did keep his last name. My son has the same last name so that is why. Now I am remarried and hyphenate so my son does not feel he is the only one.

Answer by gemgem at 10:02 AM on May. 5, 2011

• It depends. I like my maiden name better, but it would depend on my kids ages, how important it was for my career to keep the same name. I use both my maiden name and my married names at different times so I think I'd have an easier time going back to my maiden name. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:04 AM on May. 5, 2011

• If things got to the point that I couldn't stand to be w/ my husband, I don't think I'd want his last name any longer, either. We don't have kids together, so I wouldn't have to worry about my kids and I not sharing his last name. I always feel a little bad for my skids BM, as they don't share a last name, though. In my state (like most, I think), I can get my last name back w/out paying for it during my divorce; I think I would take advantage of this!
    hrh.sassypants

Answer by hrh.sassypants at 10:05 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I don't know what I would do in the situation, as I don't want to get married for a very long time... but I know what my mom did. She kept my dad's last name for a little while after they got divorced, and then I think she briefly went back to her maiden name. Then she married my brother's dad and took his name, obviously - she kept that one after they got divorced, I think because she is a teacher, and after her first divorce kids kept calling her by my dad's name... so she just stuck it out with her second husband's name to avoid confusion. She kept that one until she married my stepdad.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:13 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Id keep his name unless it was a REALLY bad situation causing the divorce. I want to have the same last name as our kids.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:13 AM on May. 5, 2011

• If I was,knock on wood,I'd keep it. I wouldn't want my son to have a different name than me

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:14 AM on May. 5, 2011

• noppers I would go back to my maiden name.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:17 AM on May. 5, 2011