ADHD / Proccessed Foods Question

ok so I am asking again today since I got only 2 responses :)

Ok so my son is only 3-1/2 but with Myself and DH being ADHD he has a 90% chance of having it and.. well... He sure shows some very clear signs already..
I want to take all the "Crap" out of his diet, although we have always fed him at least 70% organic at home, he is in daycare and financially, we can't afford it all the time. What does it mean when people say they take out all the processed foods out of their diets? Does that mean just meat or like anything canned or boxed? What type of foods do you feed your child/children. I would like to start this early to help school years as already preschool age, he can't focus, sit, pay attention etc. beyond even for a 3 year old..
If you can't detail it in this, can you please email me? I am and have been googling the best I can but I would like help from Mothers who had to do this. Also, He's lactose intolerant so it makes it hard for casseroles or homemade things without cheese..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:00 AM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• That means EVERYTHING processed must come out. If it isn't real, raw meat or real fresh fruits and veggies, chances are it's processed.

Like buy raw chicken and bake it, buy some fresh veggies like carrots or a raw sweet potato and cook/bake them, buy an avocado and slice it. Get and apple or banana. Eat that stuff.

Make sure you don't buy anything with food coloring like RED Dye #40...my son flips out with that. Any artificial color or flavor or sweetener is a culprit.

Google: Feingold diet it can help you a lot.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:05 AM on May. 5, 2011

• If you need more info, just ask or PM me or anything. I will be glad to help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:06 AM on May. 5, 2011

• WE are on a VERY limited budget so to me lessening the processed foods meant cutting back the canned/boxed meals to a only 1-2 times a week (if) sticking with fresh fruits and veggies as snacks. I will also give all natural fruit leather. I lean towards food that do not have HFCS in them and have cut back meat servings for the whole house. I personally am not focusing on organic as much as limiting if not eliminating artificial colors/flavors and HFCS. I think it comes down to preference and ability. It sounds like you are headed in the right direction for what you are looking for. It is a long process here because of our money issues but we are slowly figuring it out.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:07 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Your processed food are anything boxed or canned....basically anything on the inside aisles of your grocery store. The outer walls of the grocery stores are where the healthy food are mostly located. Unprocessed foods are going to be meats (NOT hotdogs), fresh fruits and veggies (frozen is good too), dairy (but watch for sugars in yogurts and such). As far as the foods go that you may buy boxed mixes for....make your own from scratch, it's cheaper anyways, and you can modify the recipes to make them healthier.

I just saw on The Doctors this morning that by removing the processed food and food dyes from the ADHD child's diet is like them being on Ritalin, that's how extreme the difference is in changing their diet.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:07 AM on May. 5, 2011

• They have milk/cheese etc for those who are lactose intolerant. I don't believe you will ever cut 100% of "crap" from his diet unless you only feed him as a vegan. 70% organic is pretty damn good! But yes, processed foods are boxed/canned/pre-made or frozen stuff. I have 2 kids with ADHD and I don't see that their diet affects that in any way. My daughter takes a very low dose of Focalin XR and it helps her to take the edge off and be able to concentrate etc. Unless you plan on fixing his school lunches and snacks for the entire time he is in school, cutting all crap out of his diet doesn't seem possible to me. Talk to your pediatrician and see if they can recommend a specialist or a nutritionist.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 10:08 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Processed foods are foods which are changed from their natural state. BLEACHED flour, HYROGINATED oils, ARTIFICIAL flavor/color, grains that are no longer whole. Even cooking can be considered a process as fruits and veggies are different after cooking. All 3-year-olds have a short attention span, so it's hard to diagnose at that age. DD has ADHD and is lactose intolerant. She takes lactase pills (they also come as a liquid) and eats dairy.  Some say the Feingold Diet is what helps.  (Google Feingold)  Other say to go gluten and casein free.  (GFCF diet)  We haven't noticed much change with trying to change DD's diet.  She is very picky and has issues with textures and smells so it's hard to change things with her.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:15 AM on May. 5, 2011

• okay ladies add me i have the same prob but im not adhd, although my son is adhd and he has nf1 hes 4 and i have him on adderal. 10mg in the morning (2 tablets) i have cut things out of his diet.. no red food dye, no fructose corn syrup, no sugar what so ever, everything sugar free, i only give him apple juice or water or milk lots of milk
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 2:22 PM on May. 5, 2011

• kris i don't understand. Are you saying you haven't noticed a change with taking things out of his diet ? Or are you stating he was put on meds early for Adhd? Any Ped I've talked to say they won't test until 6.. but I suppose everywhere is different.
    Also - careful with sugar free - that usually means there is asparatame in it which is also terrible.. not that you need more to add to your list though
    Thanks Ladies. This helps me out a lot. I have read about and printed out the Feingold Diet and it looks amazing but I have to talk to DH about ordering the whole packet of information.
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 2:32 PM on May. 5, 2011