Mortgage - tax lien question

Before you all tell me to contact a lawyer... I called three yesterday and am waiting to hear back. just wonder if you all have been through this too and could give me some advice.

I pulled my credit report the other day in anticipation of buying a house. On it I found two tax liens from my ex-husband on a property he owned in another state when we were married.

How hard is it going to be to fix this? Is it going to take a long time? The house I fell in love with is a foreclosure and I don't want to miss out on it because of my stupid ex.

Thanks a bunch everyone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• If your name was on the property, then there is nothing you could do. You are as responsible for the liens as he is.
    If your name wasn't on the property, then perhaps you could clear it up. You should tell the credit report company that you need verification and you should then recieve proof that you owed the money(from the government I guess since it is a tax lien), or else it will come off of your report.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:10 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Was there something in the divorce decree on this? A death or divorce is the only way to get your name removed from a mortgage, or in this case lein. GL to you.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:12 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Was this lien aquired while you were married or before/after? You are looking at 2-3 months at a minimum to take care of this if it is not your lien. If it is determined you owe the funds then you could pay it and taske care of it asap or get a lawyer and try to get the amount lowered. I hope it all works well for you.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 10:12 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Property was in his name only and was his in the divorce. Lien was after the divorce.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:14 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Wow, I wonder how in the world it even got on your credit then? I assume you disputed it on your credit report? If not, that should take care of it, I wouldn't pay someone to "help" you clear up your credit though. Many people make that mistake paying someone $200 and more to dispute items on their credit when you can do it yourself :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:18 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Then it's an error in the credit report. Call the credit bureaus for info on how to fix it. Errors are rampant on credit reports. Mine claimed that I lived in a city I'd never heard of!

Answer by gdiamante at 10:18 AM on May. 5, 2011

• The lien isn't just on the credit report. It is attached to the title of the home and that is what mortgage companies will be looking at. Is this lien for property taxes or paid wages?
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 10:54 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I have a feeling that Candi knew exactly what she was talking about. Call the credit bureau and make sure you use the word verification. If your name was never on the title they won't be able to "verify" it and will have to drop it. I love learning new things here!

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:03 AM on May. 5, 2011