Christians & Christmas?

We are a christian family and have a christmas tree and let our child believe in santa. Just for fun of course. We know christmas is about the Birth of our saviour but dont feel it hurtsw to decorate a tree and get presents and believe in santa. i have een a couple references on here that this is sinful. Is this not ok by the christian religion??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe that as long as you celebrate the true meaning along with all the gifts and Santa, there is nothing wrong. It is when it becomes all about the gifts and Santa and falls away from the birth of Christ, that it becomes wrong.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 8:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I am a Christian.. we have had Christmas trees and no it is not a sin. There is reference in the bible in the OT regarding cutting down trees and chiseling them.. they were being made into idols and were being worshiped. So... as long as you're not worshiping, bowing down, and praying to the tree... no it's not a sin.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• There's nothing wrong with a christmas tree. You know CHRIST is the reason you celebrate.

JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• dont let other people make you feel bad for celebrating Christmas! there is no chief of Christianity that can really tell you what is okay & what is not okay...unless your Catholic then you would follow the pope. anyways, there are tons of versions of Christianity so no one can really answer your question but you. if you think it is a sin then its a sin, but if you dont think its a sin then its not. no where in the Bible does it say to celebrate Christmas nor does it say not to celebrate it.

i just hope this whole Christians celebrating Christmas is a sin thing dies out before Christmas...its still 20 days away...i dont think i can listen to these arguements that much longer :D
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Uuuuugh! Not ANOTHER x-mas question!
    Anonymous

• I see nothing wrong with presents or a tree and decorations. I don't know why they would be wrong. Sounds like a pretty legalistic pov to think those things are wrong. Santa is iffy impo. I think that is something each coupe must decide based on their personal convictions. We (my husband and I) are not comfortable doing the Santa thing. For several reasons - we don't want to blatantly lie to our children and we don't want to risk it effecting their view of God. I know many people who were raised believing in Santa and it didn't do that. Just ever sense I saw the 7th Heaven episode where Ruthy finds out Santa is not real and questions God not being real it's just been one of those things for me. I never ever want to be the cause of my children questioning that. Again, it's a personal decision, that's just sorta where ours is founded. (continued)
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 11:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• And maybe a bit of greed too admittedly. I don't want so bogus fat jolly guy getting all the credit when we have worked our butts off all year to provide them with a happy, merry Christmas and nice things. I want to teach them to give credit where credit is due. It's just as happy, fun, surprising and exciting without the big jolly guy as it was with him :-)
    Anonymous

• (weird I have no idea why that made me Anon lol)
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 11:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I like the above..am a Christian. And raise our daughter in church and she knows the truth about Christmas. The time of year celebrating Jesus Christ birth. And at the same time have fun with the tree and decorating..see nothing wrong. As bonn said it isn't a sin..we aren't worshipping and idolizing the tree. So, family preference.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 12:22 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• It's fine, there is nothing wrong with letting your kids believe in Santa.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:28 AM on Dec. 5, 2008