Did you find it difficult to have 'the talk' with your kids?

If your kids are too young, are you feeling that it will be an easy, uncomfortable or difficult conversation to have.
At what age is it appropriate to talk to your kids about dating?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 10:15 AM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I've answered little questions from them all along, but I did have a long conversation with my daughter when she was 8 and asked me about tampons. I had a longer talk with my son around 10. It was a little uncomfortable at first, but they were very open and I'm hoping we maintain that type of relationship throughout puberty. They are now 9 and 11 and we talk about dating all the time - things that are appropriate vs not, what type of person would make a good mate, etc. but they know that they aren't allowed to date until they are at least 16.

Answer by missanc at 1:42 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I think you will be able to kind of feel out when is appropriate to have the talk. In our house we try to keep everything very open so if they have questions they feel comfortable to ask. I don't think that "the talk" should be a one time sit down conversation because i don't think you can fi it all in at one time without it ending up sounding like a lecture lol. GL
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 10:56 AM on May. 5, 2011

• My kids are 9 and 11 and I always let them know that school comes first. They are too young to even be thinking about that right now. I think right before middle school is a good time to talk about it.
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 1:08 PM on May. 5, 2011