What do you do when 1 child is jealous of the other? How do you help?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 10:21 AM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Make them feel equal. Let them know that they are not better than their brother or sister and vice versa. Sit down and talk to them to see what they are feeling, then go from there.
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 1:05 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My dd was 4 1/2 when my ds was born. All through the pregnancy, we kept her involved-she pick out his room decorations, clothes, and she went to dr appt. But, as hard as we tried, she is sooooo jealous. He is now 2 1/2. We try to do special things just for her that does not involve him. But, I still have not found the magic solution. I think it really depends on the child. I was not jealous of my little sister. And it seems that everyone I talk to about it, has never had a problem. Some of it we just ignore, too just to not make it worse than it is.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:32 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I guess what to do depends on the age of the kids. For example my 10 yr old is jealous of the 8 year old because the 8 yr old has an "easier" time with school and the 10 yr old doesn't feel she (8 yr old) "even tries" So i would handle something like this different than if its a toddler that's jealous of the new baby.
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 10:52 AM on May. 5, 2011