Seeing a dentist while pregnant?

im 19 weeks preg and i need to see a dentist badly! one of my back teeth is really bad! there is only one problem i am terrified of the dentist! ive can only remember going like twice in my life!!!! there is a new thing in my area called sedation denistry! i was wondering if i could do this!? if not i may just wait till after i have the baby thats how terrified of the dentist i am!!!

cortneydmorris

Asked by cortneydmorris at 10:36 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• The only thing my dentist allowed was my cleanings while I was pregnant. I don't think sedation dentistry is recommended while you're pregnant. Sorry :(
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 10:37 AM on May. 5, 2011

• It is really important to go to the dentist even when pregnant. The only thing is, if you are having problems they cannot take x rays while you are pregnant. Don't be scared!! It is not a bad place to go!! Just if you do decide to go while pregnant, make sure they know you are.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:39 AM on May. 5, 2011

• you can't do any anesthetic... it can cause labor... sorry sweetie... but GO to the dentist, it can turn from a tooth ache to much more.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 10:40 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I went to the dentist all time during my pregnancies! .. i have a root canal done!! they can take xrays they take extra caution..

IF YOU DONT GO TO THE DENTIST YOUR TEETH COULD JUST GET WORSE - IT HAS BEEN PROVEN!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:57 AM on May. 5, 2011

• People used to die of rotting teeth on a regular basis. The infection can travel to your heart and kill you. You are going to be a mommy now. Time to learn to suck it up and deal. You think going to the dentist is tramatizing think about taking your baby to the ER with a broken bone or a life threatening emergency. Time to grow up! Try a children's dentist. It won't be that bad. My dentist is wonderful. GO TO THE DENTIST!
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:12 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Also - try a place that does sedation. You can't be sedated while pregnant, but it is an indicator that they are used to people who are afraid.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 12:24 PM on May. 5, 2011

• If its a bad tooth and could be infected then you really need to go cause it could make you go in labor early. Hope this helps
    mrsth1ck

Answer by mrsth1ck at 12:34 PM on May. 5, 2011

• i am in the same boat as you two really painful teeth that have to be pulled get your xrays (there could be an infection you need to clear up that can cause pre-term labor) and when you have to get the tooth dealt with i've always hated the dentist and wanted to do sedation my doctor told me they can't but you can get the shot to numb you Goodluck but all in all grit your teeth and bear it
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 7:15 PM on May. 5, 2011

• MAKE SURE you tell the dentist that you are pregnant, so she won't do anything to cause your unborn baby harm. (And be sure to remind th nurses, too!)
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:12 PM on May. 5, 2011