I believe that the Bible is completely, entirely and verbally the word of God. I refuse to stand above and criticize it; I insist rather, on standing below it and letting it criticize me.

~John Montgomery, then Professor of  School Of Theology, Anaheim, California

This quote really pisses me off. I understand that bible believers view themselves and all of mankind as flawed, weak, sinful and in need of saving from their own horrendous and evil human nature, but to stand there and bask in the glory of being criticized- to WANT it, ACCEPT it and BELIEVE it is just insane to me.

Do you honestly view yourself and every human on the planet in this negative way? Do you actually see yourself so 'diseased' and deserving of being criticized for being what you are?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:43 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Crimsonia- We are not inherently evil, nor are we inherently good. We are animals. Self aware, highly intelligent animals. Some of us are more prone to instinctual behaviors than others. Some of us are mentally ill. Some of us are tweaked from having been brainwashed... That does not make us inherently evil.
    NOTHING on this planet is "perfect". True perfection, though some strive to achieve it, will never exist outside of fairy stories.

Being human, in many ways gives us an advantage over other species. In so many ways, it is also a disadvantage, for the disruption in the symbiotic relationship we would have had with this planet and all life on it, had man not evolved to a point of needing a "higher power" (ie gods) to worship. We've idolized our self, we're not made in the image of anything, we have attempted to mold other life to fit our images... which can bring nothing but destruction. That again, is not evil. Just animal
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:32 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Why allow yourself to be pissed off by a belief that doesn't effect you? The willingness of a Christian to be judged by his or her own God is refreshing compared to the Christians worried about judging each other & everyone else.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:48 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I don't think the Bible criticizes me, it convicts me. Of what I should be doing, what I should be saying to others, giving to others, etc. I do want the Bible to show me the way to live, that's why I read it. If the Bible agreed with everything I'm already doing, if I were perfecly in accordance with its teaching 100% of the time, there wouldn't be much point in reading it. I do believe the Bible is the infallible Word of God.

Answer by missanc at 10:49 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I believe that the Bible is completely, entirely and verbally the word of God. I refuse to stand above and criticize it; I insist rather, on standing below it and letting it criticize (convict and guide) me.

It was a poor choice of words that he used. The bible doesn't criticize us, it is a guide. Yes, I do believe that the bible was inspired by God, and as such, I do allow it to guide me thru life.
    Crimsonia

Answer by Crimsonia at 11:18 AM on May. 5, 2011

• "Here again, the bible telling you how wrong you are, how bad you are, how you're not faithful enough. Does your bible ever once say anything positive about man? You like to made to feel guilty about your human nature? You like to feel guilty because you'll never measure up to what you bible says you should be?"

while im no Bible literalist, i dont see it as always saying how wrong things are but rather giving warnings as to certain behavior's natural consequences. if you're drunk all the time you're life will suffer, if you have premarital sex (stupidly) you may get an STD or an unwanted pregnancy, if you lie it will just make things worse. you may see this as telling us how wrong our nature is, i see it as a warning to help me prevent my nature from making my life bad. my faith has never made me feel guilty unless it was for things i knew i shouldnt have been doing in the first place...things most society's frown on.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:26 PM on May. 5, 2011

• They criticize the human race in order to make you feel like being what you are is wrong, that you're never good enough, that you can't help yourself- you're always going to be bad and make wrong decisions if you don't have help from god because man is flawed, selfish and bad to bone.
    _______________________________________________________________________________

In reality, it doesn't matter if they try to make me feel bad for being who I am since I don't share those beliefs the notion is meaningless to me. As a humanist, I think you can find more constructive ways of having a positive effect on the world than to get pissed at beliefs that don't effect you. Don't you think so?
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:21 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Men/Women are flawed in some ways... we are arrogant, and nasty, and vile, and yes, evil.

Don't believe me? ... Please refresh my memory... what happened on 9/11/01 again??? What has been taking place in the nearly 10 years since then? What is all of that if not nasty, vile, and evil?

How about the millions of children that are beaten, neglected, molested every single day? If that is not nasty, vile, and evil... what is it?

If this is not a flawed human nature, then this is how we were meant to be...

You can feel anger at those of us who are willing to acknowledge our flaws, and allow the bible to convict us of our mistakes and imperfections... and be angry at those of us who strive to better ourselves through the guidance we find in the bible.... but I honestly believe that your time could be better spent reaching out to those persons whom are victims of the vile, and evil things that flawed, imperfect MEN and WOMEN do.
    Crimsonia

Answer by Crimsonia at 11:45 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Tell me this man is just a crazy fundie...--

this man is just a cra...wait, i don't know if he's crazy or fundie. i know he doesn't think much of himself, or of the mercy/grace/love God promises him/me/anyone who believes His word (aka: the Bible). i choose not to live in regret or guilt over things i've done or said (sin, in some eyes, and sometimes, in the biblical sense); rather, i choose abundant life! its a much happier place when you accept yourself for your own faults, and realize that God accepts you, too. :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:46 AM on May. 5, 2011

• nope.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:45 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Tell me this man is just a crazy fundie...
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 10:46 AM on May. 5, 2011