Don't people remember Summer 2008?

I keep hearing people freaking out over the price of gas. Doesn't anyone remember June/July 2008? Gas prices went over $4 a gallon then, too.

Here's an interesting graph for anyone who is interested in looking at the history of gas prices (the original image and more info about it can be found here: http://www.randomuseless.info/gasprice/gasprice.html ).

I'm not saying I like paying $4 a gallon, but when you look at what happened with gas prices during Bush's 8 years in office, it makes no sense to try to place all the blame on Obama.

Eek_a_Geek

Asked by Eek_a_Geek at 10:58 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Thank you!!!!! Blame the oil companies that make a million dollars a MINUTE in profit. That is who to blame. NO ONE needs to make that much of a profit.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I remember we lived in California and were paying over 5 bucks a gallon. People blamed Bush for the prices being high so not a shocker Obama is being blamed now.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 10:59 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Blame the speculators and oil futures, the oil companies themselves. Etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:01 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Yet people bitched and blamed the president then, whats different?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Your question OP, "freaking out" deals with consumer confidence moreso than the prices themselves. OP~ Did you ever think people are "freaking out" because with high unemployment + sinking dollar + rising commodity (ie: gas) + fear of more government bureaucracies  the failed promises made over the years = People who are FED up, thus "freaking out" that enough is enough?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:12 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Yes I remember. I also remember bush being blamed because he was "big oil". However he was actually small oil before he became president.
    The same type of small oil that is now going bankrupt because of the obama adm energy policies.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:21 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I remember quite well

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:01 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I remember it quite well, and it does strike me funny that everyone has forgotten that so quickly... sometimes though, I think these are some extremely young people on here and maybe they just don't.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:02 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I blame the speculators that set the prices ... along with everyone that buys gasoline.

The lifestyle that Americans have freely chosen requires gas to function, but gas ~ along with cars, trucks, etc. ~ is not necessary to live. Whether or not we buy it, how much we buy and how much the cost impacts us is our own (individual) choice. The fact that so many people 'choose' to live far enough from where they work is what drives up costs. Vacations, daily driving for whatever reason, along with suburban living all contribute as well. If you buy it, 'they' will profit.

I try very hard not to contribute to that. DH and I drive less than 100 miles a month. Others make different choices and their gasoline costs are far higher than ours.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:15 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I do remember, but they rose & fell a heckuva lot faster - this has been a slow & gradual rise, and they're not going to drop like they did 3 years ago either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 5, 2011