Young gardners

Is there a way to get my 2yo into gardening? And if so what are some of the best ways to do it and what items will i need?

afarmer

Asked by afarmer at 11:18 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• yeah, get him a lil spade & have him dig some holes for you.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:19 AM on May. 5, 2011

• 2 is the PERFECT time to start gardening!! As the PP said let her loosen the dirt with a spade and dig the holes. Also let her help pick what to grow. Have her help you water every day and watch the little plants grow. This is a great time to teach where food comes from, encourage her to try new foods and also you are planting the seed for a great hobby. (pun intended)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:23 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Take him along to the greenhouse/store (wherever you get your plants/seeds) and let him help pick stuff out. Let him help plant the seeds, and when everything is big enough show him how to weed - but watch him close so he doesn't uproot a plant ;). Then when stuff is ready to be picked, let him help harvest, and let him help cook (even if it's just observing you), and then when you're eating it talk about how it started as the seed/plant, etc. He can also help water all thorugh the summer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on May. 5, 2011

• My son is 3 and he likes to help dig in the dirt and shovel compost and stuff. But at that age they want instant results so teaching them patience is always a good thing. Just let them have their own special garden to water and watch grow.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 11:32 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Thank you. Is there a certain kind of plant or seed to stay away from or all is okay?
    afarmer

Comment by afarmer (original poster) at 11:33 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I garden, so I just include my kids in what I'm doing. They dig, weed, water, help plant seeds, etc.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:34 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Last year my daughter was 2 and she loved gardening! I would give her one of her plastic play shovels and she would dig a hole next to me. Then, in my hole I dug I would let her place the plant in the hole. I would let her water the plants with her toy watering can. Once there were vegetables she would dress up in her gardening hat and I gave her a basket. She would help me pick the tomatoes, green beans etc... I would explain which ones to look for and at the end of the year she was great at picking the ripe tomatoes. Throughout the process I would let her stop when she wanted so I would not deter her interest.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:34 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Oh I forgot to add...once we got them in the house I had her help me break the ends off the green beans, and rinse them. With the tomatoes I had her help me rinse them and then after I cut them up I had her add them to the salad. At dinner I would rave how my daughter made the green beans and salad. It actually encouraged her to try her own creations!!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:37 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Let him help at his own pace. Little shovel and bucket, let him help pick out seeds, and plants. Let him water and help with harvesting process. Alright i think i got it thank you all this was very help for. But is there any thing that i should stay away from?
    afarmer

Comment by afarmer (original poster) at 11:38 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Nice, is there a recipe sit that has recipes that are age approperite?
    afarmer

Comment by afarmer (original poster) at 11:40 AM on May. 5, 2011