How do you get your toddlers to lay down for diaper changes?

My 13mth old daughter rolls over..stands up..we are at the point where I change her standing. I've tried toys..diapers..lotion..etc. Singing..dancing..blah blah blah..anyone have any ideas for my wiggle worm? Thanks!

Ella_Bella20

Asked by Ella_Bella20 at 11:25 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hmmm...not sure. I just tell my son to lay down because we need to change his diaper and he does it. Maybe if you try making her a part of the process? Like ask her to hand you the wipe.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:27 AM on May. 5, 2011

• My 10 month old son is also a wiggle worm. I will give him atoy he loves or even sometimes I'll give him the remote to the t.v. He loves that he thinks hes getting away with something. Of course you'll have a problem taking it away because they shouldn't have it for very long, just direct there eyes and selves to something else.
    lilmamacurrin

Answer by lilmamacurrin at 11:30 AM on May. 5, 2011

• She lays down and immediately turns over...u should see me try to wipe a poopie butt while she's climbing..not very fun!! :P lol
    Ella_Bella20

Comment by Ella_Bella20 (original poster) at 11:30 AM on May. 5, 2011

• When my 19 month old is wiggly and tries to escape (lol) I give him a toy or book to keep him busy until I'm done.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:34 AM on May. 5, 2011

• My dd does the same exact thing. She'll lay down then immediately turn on her stomach. In a stern voice I'll tell to quit or stop it. Usually she'll listen. But there have been a couple times that she'll do that and won't listen so I'll wait 5 minutes or so to attempt to change her diaper again.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:39 AM on May. 5, 2011

• When my son would do this, I would give him something to play with. If that didn't work, I would sternly tell him to stop and lay still. On the rare occasion that wasn't enough, I have given him a small firm pat on his bare butt. That was usually enough to let him know I was serious.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:45 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I just firmly told mine to lay still and hold his legs up. He usually would, if not a tap on a thigh get the message across.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:56 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Huh..not into tapping on the bum or thigh really..but might try to change her again shortly after. Holding her legs up doesnt work..she's a strong little s***. LOL
    Ella_Bella20

Comment by Ella_Bella20 (original poster) at 12:28 PM on May. 5, 2011

• We have ger brush her teeth when we change her. Keeps her happy and distracted. Worked for my best friends 12 month old too.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Hmmm. Maybe try blowing raspberries on her belly before you take the diaper off. Or do something that kind of throws her for a loop. Maybe start singing a song with her like head, shoulders, knees and toes. Then when you get to the part of eyes and ears and mouth and nose....change her real quick.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:12 AM on May. 6, 2011