Politically correct?

I was speaking to a friend last night about the debt ceiling and other recent political events and she said "one of the problems with our society is that, it is politically incorrect to speak about politics and because of this most people are uninformed. This is why we have let our country go down the drain."

Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

amazinggrace83

Asked by amazinggrace83 at 11:25 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I've said it before, I have more respect for the people I argue and completely disagree with there than I have for those who are politically apathetic . . . how can you be a mother and not care about all the things the politics affect?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:48 PM on May. 5, 2011

• no, i don't think PCness has anything to do with apathy. people don't want to know, that's why they don't question or talk about certain issues, or bother to delve deeper than the newspaper headlines. if they knew and understood the gravity of "?", they might be urged to act upon it, and that would inconvenience them too much.
    JMHO
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:49 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I dont agree because I talk politic with people all the time. Of course most of us are eye to eye on things so there is not much disagreement either. My mil and me used to talk politics but she and I would just argue so now we dont. I think people can get informed easily if they put for the effort. They dont always need to have someone to talk to about it.

Answer by gemgem at 11:48 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Do not agree

People dont care enough and dont feel like it directly affects them or that they can AFFECT it....so they ignore it

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:09 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I disagree. I don't talk politics with family & certain friends....but i READ....that is how i get my info. If people knew about politics only by word of mouth, then we'd be screwed....people would be spouting bad info all day....wait....that happens already!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:28 AM on May. 5, 2011

• There was a time when it was considered gauche to talk about religion or politics, back int he "good old days" that so many seem to yearn for.

I think all the shouting has confused the issue. Although the Middle East and the national debt have ALWAYS seemed murky.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:29 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I would have to partially agree with it. I also think one of the problems is that many people only get their information from one source. Discussion is important, IMO, to at least get another point of view even if you don't agree with it. I don't know that it's politically incorrect to speak about politics, but it can be a passionate subject for some where others might just be turned off by it. I have some super conservative members of my family that won't even listen to another point of view (and that's coming from a moderate conservative). If you even so much as suggest something that isn't in line with their thinking you are ridiculed. I won't even bother to discuss politics with these people. Nor will I discuss with those that are so liberal they aren't willing to listen to another POV.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:34 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I disagree. The reason that most people are misinformed is because they are gullible and, frankly, lazy. You cannot believe everything that political commentaries blurt out, and, just because you watch TV does not take the responsibility away from you to do your own research and make your own informed decision. Those who hold too tightly to a belief that they haven't investigated themselves are foolish and stubborn.

That is the problem with our society. We don't use these wonderful brains we were born with.

Now, there are exceptions. But, as a whole . . . . .:(
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:06 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I think it's a combination/vicious cycle. Because people rarely ever discuss politics, they don't bother to learn more than the headlines on their cable news channel of choice. Because they know little more than what's in the headlines, they don't feel comfortable discussing politics with others.

I am a liberal Democrat. My neighbor is a conservative Tea-Partier. We don't discuss politics with each other because we don't want to develop any animosity towards each other. I don't have a problem discussing politics with my extended family, as long as the discussions don't ruin the occasion and make Aunt Ethel threaten to not let any of us have dessert. ;)

Unfortunately, most of the time when political discussions do come up, the conversations are very limited and frustrating because too many people get their opinions from the rhetoric of pundits, rather than forming their own opinion based on facts.

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 12:12 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I disagree, regardless of my views, I may sometimes see the other persons side. Things that are brought up in a discussion are things that maybe I hadn't thought of. Unfortunately their are alot of uneducated people that wish to forego politics altogether and then complain that the world has gone to hell. We need more people to get their head out the sand and get involved!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:35 PM on May. 5, 2011