How old were you when you started your period?

my daughter is 8 1/2 and 2 weeks ago i was straigtening my hair in the restroom and she walked in a used the restroom when she wiped she had a dot of blood. She freaked out and i explained to her about her period but she didnt have any more. Yesterday she was with my x and he went to the restroom and came and told her dad she wiped and had a little blood so he called me right away. She has not had any more blood though and he said it was a small amount like a spot? i dont know what to do....should i call her pediatrician?

selaranda

Asked by selaranda at 11:27 AM on May. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was almost 11.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:28 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I was 14 and 1/2
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:29 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I was in fifth grade. I would just wait and see first. When I first got mine, it wasn't like a normal period. Each time it slowly got heavier.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:29 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I was 15
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:29 AM on May. 5, 2011

• i was 13. i would def call her ped
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:30 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I hit enter before I was done!! My BFF daughter is 11 and had been having 'pre-periods' since she was 9. she will spot off and on for a week or so ant hen it may not show up again for a few months. I would talk to her Ped next time you are in if she is having no other issues such as pain. Chances are her body is just getting ready to really begin puberty.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:30 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I was 9 when i first got my period .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 11:31 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I was 10.

It could be several other things, including strained bowel movements, or a UTI. If she is not experiencing any painful symptoms, is not constipated, there are no signs of abuse, then I would simply make some PLs available.
    I have a couple of friends who started that young, and last year there were 4 girls in my daughter's 3rd grade class who started.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:31 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I was 10...but after that one time, i didn't get it again until i was 12.

My DD is 9 & is discharging a lot of white stuff. When i talked to her pediatrician about it, she said that her period would be coming in the next few years. The white discharge is normal & it's a way of the uterus getting ready to prepare for having a period. She said once you see that white discharge, her period is not far off. Scary!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:31 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Could she be bleeding a little with bowel movements? That can be normal, but if that's the case she needs more fiber and whole foods in her diet. Does she eat a lot of processed food like white flour?

To answer your question, I was 12, almost 13, but I've known girls who were as young as 9.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:36 AM on May. 5, 2011