Knee-friendly exercise ideas?

I think I really hurt my arthritic knee this morning :( It's been hurting me, but I've been pushing through my workouts anyway, because I enjoy them and I really want to get into better shape. Well, I was doing a split squat and felt a pop followed immediately by severe pain. It feels better now, but it was a clear signal to stop doing exercises that are hard on my knees for now.

I can't do any exercises that involve deep bends in my knees, and jogging is out (because that's what made them hurt like crazy to begin with). What are some exercises I can do that will be easy on my knees but still challenging enough to improve my fitness status while I'm waiting for them to finish healing?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 11:29 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Swimming, bicycling, and intense yoga are great for people with knee and/or back issues.
    Many workout series offer low-impact cardio aerobic options that will still get your heart pumping and your calories burning, without making you stress your knees and joints. Turbo Jam is one example.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:33 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Swimming or elliptical
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:47 AM on May. 5, 2011

• DO you have a local indoor pool? hydro aerobics are great for joints. They may even offer a class.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:31 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I'm sure there's a pool somewhere around here, but Ican't really spend the money on classes or admission right now lol.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 11:32 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I have bad knees and I use the eliptical without a problem. I can incline all I want and go as fast as i want but when I had resistance that is when my knees feel it...same with bicycling....as long as I do not add resistance it does not bother my knees. Also I found out i was doing the exercises wrong which was causing more injury to my knees. When you are feeling better just remember to push all the weight to your heels when you are doing squats and lunges and it will make a big difference.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:49 AM on May. 5, 2011

• my gf uses a recumbent bike.
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 11:57 AM on May. 5, 2011

• If you have cable look for the exercise on demand channel or visit their website at www.exercisetv.tv
    Do either a 1 or 2 mile Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds, it's a very low impact workout. I started with her to build some muscle and endurance before building up to Insanity. But I have an old torn ligament injury in my left knee and torn cartilidge in the right, and I found WATP helped me a lot.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:14 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I've screwed up my knee too. Not sure if it's the same thing- but I've found that I can bike, walk, and row with moderate to light resistance.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:06 PM on May. 5, 2011