Born Again Christians

This is an honest question.
How do you go from not believing one day and many many many days prior to believing wholeheartedly the next? Where does unconditional faith come from if you weren't raised with it?

Nicoles2LilRams

Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:56 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• OP...you don't have to convince yourself to believe.
    it's like introducing yourself to a new friend. you show your interest in becoming friends...you're opening your heart a little. start asking each other questions about each other. eventually, you know each other so well that you unknowingly wear the same outfit on the same day lol.
    if your question is referring to Christianity. you do need to actually study. a little differently than you would get to know a friend, but the same concept. if something does not sit well with you in the Bible read into further. just like if a friend said something to you that you may not agree with. you tell that friend and then they explain what they really meant.
    the first thing you have to do in learning or trying a faith..i believe of any kind. you have to open your heart & mind!
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 12:22 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Conviction, the Holy Spirit. Its a true and genuine life change.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:06 PM on May. 5, 2011

• when i was a kid my mom took us to her family church. we were going there simply for the tradition. you go to church on Sunday...it's what you just do. that's what my mom told us. right then we knew our mom wasn't in it for the religious or spiritual experience.
    my parents divorced & we quit going. my mother started dabbling in wicca & then nothing at all. atheist. we didn't really have a religious background, growing up. i remained (agnostic) where as the rest of my family got defensive if you bring up any sort of god. i met my partner about 4yrs. ago who did her best to answer my many questions w/out the cliche responses. i was still finding questions but i started having really really bad dreams. one night my partner was working & i was alone. there was a dark presence. i grabbed my Bible & started reading & praying. i felt like i was being rocked to sleep like a baby in it's mother's arms. i've believed ever since.
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 12:11 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Honest answer - It will come from trying God and letting Him prove to your heart that He is real. When you know that you know - you'll never doubt again. For me it came when the impossible happened - literally the impossible. People who wouldn't move, moved, policies that stood in the way and couldn't be broken, changed or altered except by years long battle just bent to my needs, doctors who refused my case suddenly changed their mind, a treatment that wasn't available and wasn't schedule for release in the US for another year was suddenly 13 months AHEAD of schedule --- and it ALL came together in perfect time, perfect harmony and without reason (that human could see). **Every** thing they said couldn't happen- did - as a group of physicist stood around scratching their heads. Some might say coincidence - but when was the last time the stars in the skies moved for you - Only God can do something that large.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 12:24 PM on May. 5, 2011

• So... you have to convince yourself to believe? I'm trying to understand.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Comment by Nicoles2LilRams (original poster) at 12:13 PM on May. 5, 2011

• So for you, Sarah, there was a defining experience. You didn't "choose" to convert really?
    Nicoles2LilRams

Comment by Nicoles2LilRams (original poster) at 12:17 PM on May. 5, 2011

• No. The Holy Spirit does that for you
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:18 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Right Nicoles. it an experience that makes my chest tighten when i think about it. i owned the Satanic Bible, i practiced spells & never experienced anything like that until i started opening my heart to God. idk how to explain it to someone who is questioning these things w/out my sounding insane. i have always had a gut feeling that there was SOMETHING out there. i could never call myself an atheist. i was agnostic. BIG DIFFERENCE! i, now, know that that was God's inner light that he has placed in everyone. it is your human choice to pay attention to it. God gives us free will. if you were raised in an atheist household...it might be harder to recognize that light.
    "A good tree cannot bear worthless fruit, neither can a rotten tree produce fine fruit. Every tree not producing fine fruit gets cut down and thrown into the fire. Really, then, by their fruits you will recognize those men." (Matt 7:18 to 20).
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 12:35 PM on May. 5, 2011

• And might I add - this whole event that I talked about had been estimated to cost between $250K and $500K . I did not have insurance, didn't get PA, but never received one bill for the whole process - the entire cost, from doctors fees, to MRIs, to fees for physicist to operate the machinery, to the $40K charge for turning the machine on , ALL dissolved into nowhere. No research has ever turned up ONE statement that even reflects that one single cent was ever charged to me for the whole thing. There's no record of a bill ever having been due, and no record of some anonymous person every paying a bill for me. POOF gone.
    NONE of this happened while I resisted God, it ALL lined up in perfect unison when I surrendered to God not knowing if my life would be spared - but willing to serve Him regardless of my outcome.
    I fell in love with THAT perfect God. He has been more faithful to me than I have time to tell you about.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 12:36 PM on May. 5, 2011

• i just realized that my experience could also scare someone. that was MY experience. not everyone converts the same way. it is possible i had spirits "laying low" around me due to my satanic, wicca, & agnostic curiosities.
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 12:40 PM on May. 5, 2011