Getting rid of a dog.....

We just moved across the country and wound up in a town home not by choice, my husband is military. We have a beloved dog that I am struggling with. He is used to being outside or inside as he wants but here he can only go out on a leash. I have tried taking him to dog parks but I can not do that every day. I a little one in school 2 at home and 1 on the way I just don't have the time to make it to the park every day, it is more like twice a week. We take him out frequently but it is not the exercise level that he needs. He is always at the door wanting to go out, no matter how we try to entertain him inside. He is not happy, I feel like I am abusing him in a way. Now he has taken to going to the bathroom in the house. I have tried wearing him around the house, being with me all my waking hours and it is not helping as soon as I turn my back he goes in the house. I think it is a rebellion type thing. We are not allowed to fence in our area or even a temporary fence. I don't want to get rid of him. My kids, myself and my husband are going to be devastated. What would you do? Help please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Pets

• Since there IS a park available, I'd hire a young teenager (say 14 or so) to take the dog to the park a couple of times a week. Put an ad on Craigslist or contact some local churches and hook up with the youth groups there. I bet you will find a willing and able body.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:10 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I feel for you. When I was a kid I had a Siberian Husky and the heat in Florida was making him unhealthy. We couldn't win against the fleas (this was before the fantastic new medicines) and he was miserable. In the end we gave him to my uncle who lived up north in a rural area. He (the dog) got to run free on the mountain, saw snow for the first time, etc. It was such a hard decision for our family, with so much guilt, that we never got another dog... But I know we did the right thing for him.

One suggestion I have: do you think you'd be allowed to put in an "invisible fence" where the dog wears a collar? I normally don't like that idea, but my neighbors have one and they love it. It might be a better compromise for your family than having to give the dog away.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 12:13 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Have you thought about a shocker collar? I know it sounds bad but they really don't harm the dog. My FIL has one for his dog because he lives in area that it is nearly impossible to fence unless you want to spend thousands. He only had to use it the first week and now the dog knows the boundaries. There are also kits that come with a electric wire that you put around the yard on posts. The dog wears a collar and if he goes past the wire it sprays something out of the collar. Apparently they don't like it.

Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 12:11 PM on May. 5, 2011

• In the community we only have 3 ft of space around the home that is actually ours. And he must be on a leash at all times. He would stay by our house without the collar but it is not allowed.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:13 PM on May. 5, 2011

• When we could not put up a fence we did have him in a very long chain and that made him happy. But he was a small dog 15 pounds.

You can also get a teen to walk him, in a base there are always teens wanting to do something for a couple of bucks.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:21 PM on May. 5, 2011

• We are not allowed to chain him out because as bad as it sounds at least it would get him outside. I haven't seen a teenager yet here. It seems mostly like elderly it is a very very very small base and they have allowed vets to rent the homes as well. And as soon as I take them out they are all at their windows and have posted in their yrards "no dogs", "no dumping" and such. We carry bags with us at all time and always clean up after him. One of the gentlemen approached me and said it was because they kill the grass. I don't know what to do. We can even begin to afford to live off of the base. Our BAH is $1700 and I haven't found anything under the $2000 rent. Not to mention that we are locked in a lease.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:26 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I'd find other ways to exercise him. I have a lab mix that needs the exercise, walking just is not enough for him. I take him running with my bike everyday or take him to the river/lake in the warmer months.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:28 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I am 8 months pregnant and I have a 4 and 3 year old home with me all day I am lucky if I get the house cleaned and am able to get out of it to do anything. I can't ride a bike and pull the kids and ride with the dog. The kids go too slow on a bike to ride, I have to walk next to them. The same thing happens with long distance walks, I am afraid with the other coming in a month we are going to have even less time to get him out as he needs to. It is helping just to put this all out there though because this is what has been running through my head.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:33 PM on May. 5, 2011

• What if you pay an older child to walk the dog everyday? Say, 20 dollars a week to walk the dog an hour everyday.

You have to want to keep the dog and if you don't want to, you will find excuse after excuse as to why the advice we offer, can't/won't/or doesn't work.

Getting rid of a dog because you have kids is one of the worst reasons to rehome an animal. Especially one that has been through the upheaval of a move and having to adapt to a new home, new smells, new routines and a new area. Dogs are creatures of habit and when that habit is disturbed (such as moving, rehoming or whatever) a dog reacts. They feel stress, fear, nervousness, excitement and happiness just like we do.

Give him some time to adjust. Even if it's a slow walk around the block with your kids and as fast as your pregnant self can go, it's still more then he'd get in a shelter, should you decide to get rid of him.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:46 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I would never ever ever ever take him to a shelter. He is getting way more than an hour of walking a day no problem more like 2 hours. It is the running and freedom that he is lacking. It has been 3 months and he is not adjusting.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:51 PM on May. 5, 2011