What is the point of being a racist?

Okay. I was watching Oprah the other day and they did a segment about the Freedom Riders. I sat there listening to their heroic stories and how angry mobs would terrorize them and beat them up. I'm thinking, what is the point of being a hurtful racist? I don't understand why the site of black people disgust people! I really don't! And I don't understand why the segregation of white and black people is so important. I really don't. If you ask me it's a waste of energy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Ignorance. That it is all it is.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 12:30 PM on May. 5, 2011

• There are people out there who only know hate. They know no other way of life.
    Anonymous

• Anything to make someone feel superior to another. It is a senseless waste of emotion and energy. If everyone would learn to judge a person based on their character and morals instead of their skin color the world would be a much happier place.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 12:34 PM on May. 5, 2011

• being racist isnt just hating black people. its hating all races. imo its like religion, some people believe in it some people dont. what can you do? back in the day segregation was important because white people looked down upon anyone with color. it was just black it was latino etc.
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 12:34 PM on May. 5, 2011

• It's just good old fashion ignorance! they might not even know why they hate.

God taught us not to hate, race, sex, gay, rich, poor.

But some people do use God to hate and that is wrong!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:35 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Some people base all of their self-worth on categories and labels. This is usually because they never learned to foster or admire their internal personal qualities. So, they are "better" and "worthy" because they are whilte, straight, male, christian, etc. They vehemently fight for this structure to remain true, because, without it, they are empty, worthless shells.

Same mindset as in-group, out-group.

Ultimately, though, people are better than that . . shame on those who give up on their true core and base everything on "outsides".

It is the great parenting failure of the ages.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:36 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I know race isn't a black and white issue. I'm just using it as an example. I don't understand the point of trying to feel superior to one another. I really don't.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:37 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Racist people come in all colors, shapes and sizes. Its crazy ridiculous and so sad, ignorance is the on;y thing I can think of for it.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:38 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I never knew how nasty people could be to you because the color of your skin until i was an adult. I went to a school where there was a good mix of almost every race. I moved into a white neighbor hood and im white and hispanic my husband is puerto rican and this white man was saying racist things about hispanic people and it broke my heart to think someone might treat my kids bad because they are not white. I think it can go anyway anybody can be racist black white hispanic asain. I really think its worse when whit people say things because we get more of a shame on you. But there's always someone in a race who thinks they are better than another so it should be an equal shame on you.

Anonymous

• It's a learned behavior, you were raised to know that you are equal to all others. Some people were raised to "know" that they are better than others because the color of their skin. You have the morals you have because of your parents and environment that you were raised in. Whenever I see something racist I remember how thankful I am for my mom, and how much it must suck to walk around with all that hate built up. The other part is something might have happened they made them believe that they are, a paradigm.

mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 12:45 PM on May. 5, 2011