How do you keep a seven weeker awake??

My daughter had me up all night. not one minute of sleep. How do you keep a new born awake during the day?? I havent had a new born in 7 yrs.lol I forgot............. i know it will take a bit for her to get use to being in a new place but how do i keep her up and not seem like she colic??

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 12:36 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its hard, i think you should let her sleep whenever she wants. she will soon learn. i know it sucks but this phase will pass so quickly! gl!
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 12:39 PM on May. 5, 2011

• You can strip her down to the diaper, put a wet washcloth on her feet. But be aware... waking them more in the daytiome doesn't always translate to sleeping more at night!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:55 PM on May. 5, 2011

• it is I think impossible to keep a baby awake that young unless you hold them all day. I remember when I had my first baby my grandma told me to make sure I keep her up most of the day or some at least or she will have her days and nights mixed up so I tried and even holding her and talking to her she kept falling asleep I would have to wake her back up and I couldn't do that all day I had other things to do around the house. So I don't think there is a way to keep a 7 week awake
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:58 PM on May. 5, 2011

• You don't, not really. To help the adjustment between night and day, let her sleep during the day in a room lit by sunlight. Or even sleep out in the room you are working in. At night time, put her somewhere quiet and dark. She'll figure out the time difference eventually. On the other hand, 2 of my children were MUCH fussier at night. The only thing that helped my sanity was realizing that bed time could be a four hour process. I would lay in bed and nurse them until they fell asleep. And then keep holding them, laying beside them, and nursing as they fussed, until they were SOUND asleep. That sometimes took four hours. But at least expecting it/planning for it made it easier to deal with.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I woke mine up at least every 3 hours during the day to eat and then let them sleep as long as they would at night. Also, exposure to sunlight during the day will help.

Answer by missanc at 1:54 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Infants have massive amounts of melatonin floating around in their little bodies which makes them sleep. You can attempt keeping her asleep by taking her clothes off, massaging, bathing, etc. However, constant stimulation will only aggravate her... She will come out of this. I promise. And then you will be wishing you had those moments back. Just FYI... when she sleeps... you sleep. Forget about the house. The mess will be there when you wake up...
    RNMomO3

Answer by RNMomO3 at 2:59 PM on May. 5, 2011

• couldnt have said it any better.. its annoying me that the house looks the way it does.. and i cant fall asleep fast so by the time i start to doze she wakes from her nap
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 3:49 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Let her sleep! She is still trying to settle into a routine and forcing her into yours will only end up with you resenting her. It's an exhausting experience for a baby to be pushed from a warm comfortable place, down a tight tunnel, then out into a rather chilly room with bright lights (bright compared to the womb), then have something dripped in the eyes and stuck up the nose...yikes! She's tired and change is hard for a newborn. Try lying down with her next to you, you look in her eyes...talk calmly to her. You will relax and she will be calm too. Try to catch a nap when she sleeps. If you have housework to do, enlist some help. If you have family nearby that keeps volunteering, take them up on it! We all know it's tough!
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 9:06 PM on May. 5, 2011