How do i tell my son about my pregnancy?

I just found out yesterday that i'm pregnant and me and my hubby are very happy about it. We're not planning to announce it yet to his side of family coz his sister just got a M/C two months ago but we're planning to telling my side already soon. But one of my main concern is how to tell my son. He's 12 yrs old and he's from my husband's ex. He's been thru a lot when he was younger having has two siblings with his birth mother and another guy both of which he hasn't seen for 6 years now and we have no idea where they are. He has another brother with his birth mother and another guy who has been adopted but he is able to see from time to time as the adoptive parents live a few cities away. I just don't know if he'll be happy to know he is gonna have another a baby brother or sister soon. I just remembered about two years ago, he told me he doesn't want a new sibling coz it will remind him of his two siblings he misses so much and doesn't know when he'll see them again. And he's been our only child since my hubby and i got together in 2009. He's changed and matured a lot, and my hubby feels that he's gonna accept the news fine and be happy that he'll finally have a brother or sister that will be with him all the time and won't be taken away from him. So i really don't know how i'm gonna tell him the news. Any ideas please?

chyme

Asked by chyme at 12:52 PM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just tell him. You can't hide or change your pregnancy. Just make sure that he knows that you will need his help. Your baby will be crazy about his/her big brother.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:59 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I would tell him and remind him that this baby will be there everyday. Good luck
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 1:04 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I would focus on exactly what your husband is saying...that this baby will be in the home all the time and that he can feel safe getting attached to the baby and won't be hurt this time.

Also, I would be doing all that I could to help him establish a relationship with his siblings. I know one of my girlfriends has REALLY gone out of her way to reach out to the other mother to make sure her son has a relationship with his siblings, it has involved going outside of her comfort zone, but her son REALLY benefits from that relationship and the fact that his mother (regardless of the attitudes of others) is willing to make herself a little uncomfortable and be friendly with awful people in order for him to see his brother and sister.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:06 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I agree with Suzanne, you need to just tell him, and let him know that he gets to have a daily role in this baby's life. Have him help with the planning and preparing. Let him know that this isn't you and your husband having a new baby, but the 3 of you are adding a baby to your family, and that he has a lot to look forward too.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:37 PM on May. 5, 2011

• he might fell more upset if you wait to long to tell him but just let him know he will always be there that this baby will look up to him thatthis is his baby too that hes going to be a big man around the house now and will be important that he helps with the baby. if he fells he will always be included in this babies life and a big part of it i think he will be excited
    mommy2bee12-27

Answer by mommy2bee12-27 at 1:57 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Be sensitive to his reactions whatever they are. He will accept it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:05 PM on May. 5, 2011

• yes watch tlc show him include him all about baby
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 5:49 PM on May. 5, 2011