Was referred to a psyciatrist by regular physician but...

I am afraid to ask work. I am afraid the psyciatrist will want me to come in like once a week and i don't want to ask off work that much. I have never been to a psyciatrist, what happens at those appointments?

jaceyrayesmom

Asked by jaceyrayesmom at 12:53 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Health

• They basically just talk about your moods/symptoms and ask a bunch of questions.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:57 PM on May. 5, 2011

• If s/he wants to see you weekly, there are most likely weekend or evening hours for those like you who work.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:58 PM on May. 5, 2011

• They just assess you and normally will send information back to your doctor. If you have high anxiety or something they prescribe medication because most physicians now a days would rather a psychiatrist do it. If you need counseling they usually will refer you to a psychologist and they can schedule around your work schedule.

Answer by gemgem at 12:58 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Well, they typically ask you how you are doing, listen to whatever you tell them...then write you a prescription. Unless you have a job where having something like depression is a cause for dismissal..which is unlikely....they can't say or do anything to you for seeing a mental health care professional. Also, psychiatrist don't always require weekly visits. A psychologist or therapist who is helping you work threw an issue may ask to see you weekly, psychiatrist mostly deal in the medication end and management of symptoms which can be done as little as monthly, depending on the medication and the problem you are having.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 1:04 PM on May. 5, 2011

• It is standard for a psychiatrist to see you for 15 to 30 minutes, once a month.

Your first session, they will do a basic intake. Ask about symptoms, how long you have had them, and anything that you might be going through emotionally. They willl then prescribe, if they think you need it. Sunsequent sessions will be quick; they will ask you about your symptoms and any side effects, and give you a refill or med change.

Psychotherapy or counseling is different. There you just talk about issues, and that is uaually 1 hour, once a week. Psychiatrists usually do not do psychtherapy, they are more focused on the medical aspect (meds).
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:10 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Alot of psychs will give you evening appointments if that helps. From past experience......it can help through trying times. Listen to your doctor and give it a try........
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:10 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Just echoing the above. I see mine at 5:30. He's a great doctor. Nothing to be nervous about that I'm aware of. When I see him, I actually feel like a person, not a cow being run through the shoot like some doctors I've seen.
    swizzleday

Answer by swizzleday at 1:35 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I suppose if you need to see a psychiatrist, then they most likely would have hours available for you. Most jobs are understanding and depending on WHY you are going to see someone, they are pretty lenient. You should be able to explain your situation to your boss without having to deal with retaliation. Seeing someone for mental health issues can vary on visit time and the type of therapy you could receive.
    RNMomO3

Answer by RNMomO3 at 4:48 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I see my Dr. now mostly just to refill my meds, and if I feel I need to see him. I started when my DD was killed and it has gotten so I go less and less all the time, but I have to go for my meds. Appts are 15 min. most days.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2011