How do you get your children to listen?

in public or at home or when they tone you out and won't answer you? No bashing please

They are 4 and 9 old enough to know that when spoken to they are suppose to listen I don't think age makes a difference though they should respect their parents and listen to them no matter what age they are

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 1:14 PM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Eye contact and stating consequences of not listening to what they are supposed to do. Also following out of said consequences is very important. :) It gets easier when they get it...
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 7:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• velcro and duct tape lol j/k

Answer by gemgem at 1:15 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I don't think age makes a difference though they should respect their parents and listen to them no matter what age they are

honestly, it does make a difference. 1-4 year olds have very short attention spans and understand very little about consequences.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:20 PM on May. 5, 2011

• How old? Makes a difference.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:15 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My son is 3-1/2 and many times I have no idea..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:15 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I'm sorry mama I don't have this problem yet...DD is only 4 and hasnt really hit the rebellious stage yet...but I know when I was trying to tune out MY mama..she would get down to eye level with me and speak to me real soft...scared the crap out of me lol....but it definatly worked! lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:16 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My older kids (9 and 11) know that if they don't answer me or obey the first time, then it's 5 minutes off of their bedtime each time I have to ask/call them again. When my 2 yo doesn't listen, I get down on his level and ask him to look into my eyes while I speak. If he still doesn't obey, then it's timeout (for 2 mins).

Answer by missanc at 1:37 PM on May. 5, 2011

• have them look into your eyes when your repremanding or speaking to them and make them repeat what you are asking of them and if repremanding have them repet how to deal with the situation the proper way as appose to the way they did. it really help repetition is key!!!
    mommy2bee12-27

Answer by mommy2bee12-27 at 1:49 PM on May. 5, 2011

• say hey i am talking to u take away fun things toys snacks
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 5:45 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I give my kids the look and they shape right up.
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 10:51 PM on May. 5, 2011