Dog Hair Stench adult content

I'm a "new" dog owner. Have had cats for over a year now, adopted our dog back in February. Now that the winter weather is finally going away, it's getting warm. We have a pitbull (extremely short coat) but he sheds A LOT! Our vet recommended bathing him 1-2x a month but he still reeks...BAD. It seems as if the heat escalates the dog stench in the house. There is fur everywhere and I just can't take it. It just makes the house smell so bad.

I vacuum 2x a day, febreeze, have bought renuzit cones to refreshen the house but because it absorbs the odor, we go through them in no time. I even use baking soda on the carpet, and use freshening spray every couple of days on the dog (sold at PetCo). Anything else I can do? I'm really sensitive to smells and while I don't expect my house to smell like flowers, I'd love to mask the doggy smell.

mom23boys679

Asked by mom23boys679 at 1:17 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Pets

• Make sure you are washing him thoroughly and right. If you dont the smell can get worse. Also treat his breath, you can get treats now days to help with bad breath. They also sell spray at pet stores and even walmart to spray on them after a bath. I actually bath my indoor dog once a week otherwise the smell is bad. My outdoor dog I bath twice a month.

Answer by gemgem at 1:20 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Do you not think that is too often? He has issues with drying out when he gets washed too often (foster mom told us this). As mentioned, I do use the refresher spray on him whenever the stench makes it's return, and after he dries after a bath. Our dog is indoors, and I spend a LOT of time when I bathe him. It's just that his skin dries out from bathing too much that makes it difficult.
    mom23boys679

Comment by mom23boys679 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on May. 5, 2011

• We bathe our dog every week when the seasons are changing and i've found that if you use smell masker made specifically for pets in the home it works a little better than just straight freshener my dog also allows me to vacuum her with the upholstery attachment when she's shedding
    LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 1:24 PM on May. 5, 2011

• And depending on what kind of vacuum you use a couple drops of perfume or essential oil in the collection spot will make it smell better when you're in a hurry to make it go away fast but only lasts a little while
    LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 1:27 PM on May. 5, 2011

• We use johnson and johnson baby soap on the dog that has the drying out problem here it's not as harsh as the usual dog shampoo otherwise we get flaky skin
    LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 1:30 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Thank you - I will try that. I have a dyson (canister)...I thought of doing that but after seeing how much it picks off my carpet I was worried it may hurt him.
    mom23boys679

Comment by mom23boys679 (original poster) at 1:30 PM on May. 5, 2011

• What are you feeding him? Check the ingredients list. If the first thing listed is corn anything that could be your problem. Corn can cause bad odor and skin conditions in dogs.It's used as a filler and it's really not good for puppy. :\
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:55 PM on May. 5, 2011

• We use Blue Buffalo so to our knowledge corn isn't in there (since it came highly recommended by the vet). I'll definitely take a look though. Thank you!
    mom23boys679

Comment by mom23boys679 (original poster) at 9:43 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I wouldn't recommend the johnson baby shampoo for a pitbull with sensitive skin. I would try cetaphil first. its for people, it has no soap, and it doesn't foam up. but it does take the dirt off, and you can use it every day if you had to. I had the same problem with my girl, and the cetaphil was the only thing I could wash her with, and I did it once a week, without problems. they sell a generic version at walmart and it takes about half a large container to get a 40 lb dog clean, but it works! remember, it doesn't foam up! Also, have you had his/her anal glands expressed? That can cause an odor sometimes. Some dogs just smell more than others. For skin issues you can try a supplement in the food too, I used to give my girl a fish oil capsule, pierce it and squirt it on her food. It really helpd her skin. But there are things you can buy especially for pets if you want.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:18 PM on May. 6, 2011

• While Blue Buffalo is a great brand, that doesn't mean all dogs will do well on it. Are you feeding the grain-free or regular BB? He could be sensitive to all grains, not just corn. I have one dog that if he is fed any grains, over time he gets very itchy and licks/chews himself a lot and his skin and hair will start to turn red/orange! I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild and they do awesome on it. I used to feed BB, but their grain free costs so much...about $52 for 24# whereas I pay about $42 for 30# of TOTW. I also agree that you could try giving him fish oil (or even a couple of raw eggs/week). Both of those are really good for the skin/coat. Maybe he's allergic or sensitive to the meat source in his food. If you don't want to go grain free just yet, you can try switching to a different meat source.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:10 AM on May. 8, 2011