I'm getting annoyed at my daughter translating although it's helpful?

Well I am divorced & remarried. With my 1st husband we had one daughter, who is now 12. He is French and my daughter is bilingual French & English. We often go to France (1-2 weeks per year usually) and my daughter translates things for me, her stepdad (who she just calls 'Dad' as he has been this since she was 18 months old) and her half-siblings. It's really helpful but it actually annoys me because it makes me look so stupid. For instance at Disneyland Paris last year we had a problem with our kettle and they staff (cast) member I was explaining this to spoke very little English. I speak very little French. But Amelia, my daughter, translated everything and in the end the staff member was just having a conversation with her about it. I looked so stupid not speaking any of the language. I felt like yelling "you're just a kid! You're English! Stop showing off!" but it was actually really helpful.

How can I stop myself getting annoyed, show people I'm not stupid, and/or tell her politely to somehow 'dodge up' her accent so she doesn't seem so perfect? I know it's a stupid question but I really need an answer before we go to France in August.

kittyweignex

Asked by kittyweignex at 1:18 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Holidays

• Get over it. It's incredible that she can speak two languages fluently. And maybe try learning some French before you go this summer.
    Anonymous

• looks like it's time to step up and brush up on your french.. you wont be so annoyed anymore when you can do it all on your own.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:20 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Learning the language would be a good thing.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 1:21 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I guess try to learn the language...I would be so proud of my daughter I doubt I would care that I looked silly...but if it bothered me that much I would take some french lessons before I went or invest in Rosetta Stone.
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:23 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Yes, I know learning French would help. I have tried but I'm rubbish at languages. I re-did school years 2, 6 and 9 (US grades 1, 5 and 8) because my ENGLISH was so bad and I got a D on my FRENCH GSCE - not that I took it by choise. I can do maths, science, history and all that just not languages.
    kittyweignex

Comment by kittyweignex (original poster) at 1:30 PM on May. 5, 2011

• It's wonderful that your daughter is bilingual! I think most people understand that not everybody speaks more than one language. You shouldn't feel silly.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:32 PM on May. 5, 2011

• And where are you from?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:33 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Tararenee, I'm from England just rubbish at languages. They thought I was dyslexic then gave up on that idea.
    kittyweignex

Comment by kittyweignex (original poster) at 1:42 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I thought you might be from England when you said rubbish =) And I'm no good with languages either kitty. I took a year of Spanish and 3 years of German and I speak neither language.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• have you tried Rosetta stone?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:12 PM on May. 5, 2011