What can i do to get my daughter to stop telling me ''NO'' for everything ?

My daughter got the habit of telling me ''NO'' at home in public everywhere its embarrassing especially in public if i hit her on the hand and tell her not to tell mommy that she just hits me back and tells me no and crosses her arms and throws a fit im getting very frustrated with her cus she wont listen to me only to daddy she will listen too .Any advice will really help .

alexia_09

Asked by alexia_09 at 1:44 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a phase.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:45 PM on May. 5, 2011

• She tells you no, you put her in time out. And she doesn't get out till she stops screaming and is quiet. She hits you, same thing. Although in situations like that, I'm not against a firm swat on the butt. But just with my kids, time outs have worked better.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:46 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Be consistent. If you tell her to do or not do something then make her. You are the boss and she needs to learn that.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• oh sorry, that made me laugh - they are so stubborn at this age hahaha - its true- its a phase but not easy lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Stop telling her no. Don't tell her what she can't do, tell her what she CAN do. If she's throwing food on the floor, don't tell her no, tell her keep your food on the table. Keep it positive and the less she hears no, the less she will say no. Give her choices when possible (ie "do you want the red shirt, or the pink shirt?") but if there isn't a choice don't give her one ( ie "it's naptime, okay?")

Answer by missanc at 1:48 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Ask her questions so that "yes" is the answer she wants to give. Instead of "Do you want to put on this coat?" Ask her, "Do you want to be cold outside?" or "Did you want to wear the red or the green coat?"
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:00 PM on May. 5, 2011

• yes move away from yes and no questions.. it's a powerful word and she's asserting herself.. it just gets more complicated from here!! They are smart little kiddos! Give choices that empowers and moves away from NO.. good luck. Example: do you want to wear the red shirt ot the blue shirt, do you want to have green beans or corn, do you want a bath or a shower.. oh wait thats for my 4 yr old! lol.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 2:20 PM on May. 5, 2011