I need help. How can I teach my son that is almost 15 months old.

Everytime he doesn't like me picking him up or tell him no, he hits me or pinches my nose. I'm having a hard time teaching him not to hit. He is hitting me everywhere chance when he's mad at me. Any advice?

Karisma_Thomas

Asked by Karisma_Thomas at 2:13 PM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Put him down in time-out every time he does that.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:14 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Immediate time out for hitting is what I would do, so he learns that each time he does that behavior there is a negative consequence. You just immediately, and in a loud and firm voice, tell him "No hitting" and then go put him in time out. Tell him "you have time out for hitting and stay here until I come back". When you come back in 90 seconds or so, tell him he is not to hit and ask him to say sorry and give him a hug. It will take a little practice but he'll get the idea. Even if he's not old enough to really say he's sorry you still go thru the motions as though he were. And don't take it personally, this is a really typical phase at this age, my daughter went thru the same exact thing shortly after turning one and you will be happy to know it did not last long, but I certainly did my best to nip it in the bud and teach her to control that impulse. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:31 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Time outs for a 15 month old wont do anything. When he hits or pinches, just say in a commanding, louder than normal, not a happy mom type voice, " NO PINCHING!" or " NO HITTING"
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:26 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Discipline with a swat or a smack on the hand. You are the athority who should dual out punishment, not him. It's hard but it's better to break him of that now.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 4:51 PM on May. 5, 2011

• give his bottom a little spake hurt his feelings so no right in face give him eye contract
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 5:41 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I think just placing him in his crib for a couple minutes and walking out of the room might impress on him that hitting or pinching will make you leave him alone for a while. Then you can show him how to be gentle,....hugs, pecks on the cheek, caresses on the arm. Smile when he does the right thing, place in crib and ignore when he does the wrong thing. He's testing his limits and it is time for you to set some...and be consistent.
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 8:27 PM on May. 5, 2011

• @minimo........time out absolutely does work for 1 year olds! all of my kids start getting time out when they're 1 yo and it absolutely cleans up any bad habits they are thinking about developing. they stay in the corner until they hear the kitchen timer beep and then i call them over to talk about what just happened and why they can't act like that. you have to be consistant,and the rule is 1 min. for every year of age. it works wonders and they change very quickly when they see it's not gonna fly anymore. gl momma!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:25 PM on May. 5, 2011

• although my youngest is 22 months and not 15, he has been in time outs at around age one, and I agree, it works! If their smart enough to know to hit you they are for sure smart enough to realize you mean business. It should not be tolerated AT ALL. I hate seeing kids much older than that swatting at their parents, and the parents just try to ignore it...yeah like thats working for them. Glad you are looking for help now instead of when he's 5 years old!
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 9:46 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I did help a friend with her kids all the time but I never had a chance to see how she had handles things like this. I have been putting him in his crib for a min or two depending how hard he hits or pinches and when I pick him up I tell him that he can't do that. I have started his father (which is my boyfriend) that he must do it too. Thank you all for the advice. It really helped me.
    Karisma_Thomas

Comment by Karisma_Thomas (original poster) at 6:28 PM on May. 9, 2011