How can I get my 21 month old son to go to sleep by himself?

When my son is ready for bed, I have to lay in bed with him till he falls asleep. He usually sleeps in bed with me, but I have been transitioning him to his toddler bed. I still have to lay in there with him till he goes to sleep. How can I get him to just go to bed on his own?

proudmommy717

Asked by proudmommy717 at 2:13 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put him in his room and put a baby gate up. I'm not saying to CIO go in there if he screams but other than that he has to learn to go to sleep on his own, maybe let him watch a movie until he calms down and goes to sleep?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:16 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I have heard people who gradually wean their child from this habit my getting a bit further away from the bed each night. So if you usually lay in bed with him, the first night you maybe just sit next to the bed, then you sit in the room but not right next to the bed, then you sit by the doorway, in the doorway, then in the hall and so on. You could just go cold turkey but gradually doing things might be easier. Supernanny would probably say that when you are sitting in the middle of the room or whatever and he gets out of bed that you just have to calmly put him back, the first time you can tell him it's time for bed, but after that you are just supposed to put him back in without saying anything so he learns this is not a time for getting your attention or interacting with you, it is time for getting in bed and going to sleep. Once he stays in bed maybe allowing a book or animal while he settles in would help, too. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:27 PM on May. 5, 2011

• i have the same problem. I have to put my daughter to sleep then lay her in her toddler bed (shes 2) i'd love to just lay her down and day ok goodnight and her sleep by her self lol
    seleste0330

Answer by seleste0330 at 11:28 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Take a baby gate and gate off his room. (If he climbs traditional gates, get a taller one with vertical bars). Toddler proof the room, so there is nothing to destroy (like baby powder, paper books, diapers, or rash cream). Put a door jam (triangular block) under the door so he can't shut it. Make the bedroom a place for sleep, shove all the toys in the closet if you have to. Now that the room is safe and doesn't have any play-things, read a book, lay him in the bed, turn off the lights, and leave. Don't pass by the door or say anything to him. He will scream, cry, and throw a fit but he will eventually fall asleep. The first night sucks but it gets so much easier.
    jenmerk

Answer by jenmerk at 12:47 AM on May. 7, 2011