Is Google maps going too far?

Google has unveiled Google Business Photos for Maps, a new product that allows users to check out the inside of local businesses. Marissa Mayer, Google's vice president of location and maps, made the announcement Thursday at the Social-Loco conference in San Francisco. During a demo on stage, Mayer and a co-worker showed off the ability to "enter" local businesses and see the inside of a building. Businesses can provide photos to Google, which can then be compiled into a 360-degree view of a building's interior.

Business Photos could prove to be a useful tool for restaurants, bars and establishments that depend on local patronage. Many people like to check out the places they eat and drink on the web. Soon, Google users will be able to see inside these places directly from Google Maps.

Mayer says that Google Business Photos will be released in the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, Canada and several other countries next week, with more countries getting the feature in the following month.

[More from Mashable: U.S. Carriers Begin Blocking Android Tethering Apps]

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:19 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it sounds cool.. too far would be without owner permission.. sounds like the businesses submit their photos so.. it's their choice.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 2:22 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Businesses can provide photos to Google, which can then be compiled into a 360-degree view of a building's interior.

If the business is giving them the photos......No its their choice.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:22 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Let's just make it easier for a criminal to map out their plan of attack when robbing a store.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:22 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I think that as long as they stick to having to have the owner's permission to do it that there is nothing wrong with it. Honestly, we would go more places if I could do a virtual tour first to make sure it was worth my time.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 2:23 PM on May. 5, 2011

• If the owners are okay with it then its really no one else's business.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:25 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Why would that be "going too far"? The businesses are providing the photo, so it's unlikely that there will be the same kind of controversy that they had with the "street view" feature.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 2:26 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Im skeptical because of what they  already do with live shots..

This to me is a slippery slope...

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 2:33 PM on May. 5, 2011

• "because of what they already do with live shots."
    =====

Who is "they"? Google? Stalkers? The little old lady down the street?

And what do they do with them that has you skeptical?

I'm familiar with Google's "street view" feature, but I think I'm missing something here if you find the idea of businesses sending in their own photos of their own store/restaurant to Google troubling.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 2:49 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Google street views is too intrusive (imo)...

I think something like this can go to the next level to where they are showing LIVE shits inside buildings....KWIM?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 2:53 PM on May. 5, 2011

• google has been going to far since it's inception.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:03 PM on May. 5, 2011