Convince my parents that I am NOT lonely.

I'm forty-one. I've been divorced for five years. I do not have an active social life. I never have. I attend the same church I grew up in. I have five dogs, four cats, three chickens and two horses. And I am NOT lonely. I know my parents just want me to be happy. I want someone to share my life with. Someday. Not today.

swizzleday

Asked by swizzleday at 2:45 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• You should just tell them that this is the place you are in your life and your happy the way you are. If your truly happy with where your at then just brush them off and live your life. Parents, no matter how old you are tend to have a plan for you and maybe their plan isn't exactly what your feeling at the moment so just do your own thing!! Do what makes you happy. the end. Good Luck to you :)
    oliviahw

Answer by oliviahw at 4:37 PM on May. 5, 2011

• why do you have to convince them? If you know it that is all that matters
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Good for you! Unfortunatley that's how parents are sometimes, I'm sure the mean well but I'm sure it can be irritating sometimes. Just enjoy your time with your kids and your pets.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 2:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I know they do. My parents have been married for forty-two years. They love each other. They just want me to have what they've enjoyed. Someone to be there. Laugh and cry with. That's all. My son is twenty-one. So there is no one else at home but me. I'm okay with it. I'd rather them not feel sad about me being alone. It is not the same as lonely. It's pretty much like you said though. When I go home, I've got five dogs that are happy to see me. Two horses that are looking to get brushed and fed, and four cats trying to trip me on my way to the bathroom.
    swizzleday

Comment by swizzleday (original poster) at 3:00 PM on May. 5, 2011

• You can be lonely in a room full of hundreds of people...just the same as you can NOT be lonely when you are alone. Something your parents need to be told?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 3:12 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Maybe their saying come visit them more often?
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 3:27 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I think hopeandglory nailed it......... good luck!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 3:27 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Liz4Life, that was just sweet. Hopeandglory, true that. I've tried telling them. I guess that contributed to the desperate tone to my question. I don't particularly care for the word convince. This quote explains why: "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still." I guess it's up to them to believe me when I tell them I am content. I think maybe they have just been married for so long they can no longer conceive of being "alone."
    swizzleday

Comment by swizzleday (original poster) at 3:35 PM on May. 5, 2011

• They love you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:24 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Thank you sweet peoples. I know tis true. Sometimes I just wish for the magic wand...
    swizzleday

Comment by swizzleday (original poster) at 4:54 PM on May. 5, 2011