Belly dancing for kids???

I saw a post earlier today where a mom was looking for belly dancing classes for her and her dd who was 7, I believe. Is that not young to have a little girl dancing like that? Ugh....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on May. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• no I don't think so its all for fun as long as she is not half naked doing it I have taken belly dancing & its fun, good exercise and yes sexy but I am pretty sure with kids classes it will be basic moves.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:03 PM on May. 5, 2011

• It doesn't have to be sexual. It is a form of expression and great excersize. Like Hula.
    But in our society everyone jumps to sex first.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 2:58 PM on May. 5, 2011

• depends on the dance moves and how they are dancing... my 3 year old is in dance and the second that they start dancing or dressing immodest .. she is out.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 2:59 PM on May. 5, 2011

• eh I would have to see the class & what they dress in. I dont see anything wrong with it per say if there was a class offered around here & my daughter wanted to take it & I saw that the dancing & outfits were rated g then yes I'd allow her to take the class. I am however, not going to seek out a class for her.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:53 PM on May. 5, 2011

• We have a class around her that is mainly an exercise class but they do recitals. Any of the young people that take it are dressed modestly and the music that they dance to is g-rated. Something like that, no I don't have a problem with DD taking it. She's been to 3 of the recitals, my mom was in 1 of them. Now if the dancing and the costumes got risque, then yes, I would have a problem with it.
    onix

Answer by onix at 3:28 PM on May. 5, 2011

•  http://www.shira.net/dearshira/girlsdancing.htm    answers a lot of questions about belly dancing
    (as it relates to kids)

I think a lot of it depends on the teacher and how she "sees" the dance if you know what I mean.  "A good belly dance teacher will make sure her students realize that it did not originate as a dance of seduction. She will encourage them to use the dance to explore moods such as joy, introspection, cuteness, and fun. However, not all belly dance teachers are good teachers."

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:49 PM on May. 5, 2011

• cont...

"Many people who are not familiar with belly dancing assume it's some kind of strip show, and they may fiercely disapprove of having "that sort of thing" in their family-oriented community. One way to prevent this is to refer to the girl's dance as "Oriental" or "Middle Eastern" dance instead of the more provocative term "belly" dance. Another is to select folkloric costumes for her with covered midriffs instead of the glitzy bead-and-sequin midriff-baring confections. The girls can be taught dances that emphasize folk dance steps and arm movements rather than vigorous hip movements."

*both quotes are from that link

My daughter and I take classes -but she is 17
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:50 PM on May. 5, 2011