National Day of Prayer - will you be observing?

"Prayer is the preface to the book of Christian living; the text of the new life sermon; the girding on of the armor for battle; the pilgrim's preparation for his journey.  It must be supplemented by action or it amounts to nothing ~"  A. Phelps

President Obama issued a proclamation designating May 5 as a National Day of Prayer on April 29. He issued similar proclamations in 2009 and 2010.

"Today the president will join millions of Americans in personal prayer to mark this important day," a White House spokesperson, Shin Inouye, told msnbc.com.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42914754?GT1=43001

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:57 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER isn't just for xtians, am i right? if so, any religion (who 'prays' or meditates or whatever) could embrace it, as well. that said, i pray daily. sometimes more than once, sometimes several times in a 24hr period. believe it or not, i can pray WHILE i'm helping the needy, or feeding the hungry. hard to fathom, isn't it?
    obviously, atheists won't observe such a day.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:10 PM on May. 5, 2011

• nope, don't pray any other day either
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:59 PM on May. 5, 2011

• We had National Prayer day I thought back in the fall? Either way I pray every day so I guess I am observing it.

Answer by gemgem at 3:12 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I did. I went to an observance in our downtown city park. It was put on by the local ministerial association and represented a number of denominations. Though there was a pretty small crowd in attendance, there was a really sweet atmosphere.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:29 PM on May. 5, 2011

• No. Not that I don't believe in prayer in the form of talking with the Goddess and the God and also with Nature Beings. But, I will not be observing anything official today.
    FemRising

Answer by FemRising at 3:50 PM on May. 5, 2011

• No, I don't believe in a supernatural being to pray to; forces of nature are impersonal. If it was a day of meditation or reflection and not specifically prayer, then maybe, but only because I would do that anyway.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:03 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Yes because I choose to.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:11 PM on May. 5, 2011

• No, I don't believe in "the power of prayer", or that God interferes in worldly affairs. Prayer, for me, is more like meditation, and while I'd like to have time for that kind of thing I really don't, not with a 3 year old running around, lol. It never gets quiet enough in my house for that! ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:03 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I only pray for strength, and good health for myself and for my loved ones' health and safety. And I say a prayer of thanks when the occasion calls for it.
    Otherwise,I don't devote any specific day to prayer and this day of prayer won't be any different.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:48 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Gee pop, brainwashed much? lol. What's better? A bitter Atheist who just wants people to love, trust and have faith in themselves instead of god or a religious zombie basking in false happiness, lies and hope who wants everyone to join her in that fakeness?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:09 AM on May. 6, 2011