Is this for real - women gains British accent after undergoing oral surgery?

When Karen Butler meets new people, they often ask her where she’s from. And the answer -- Newport, Oregon -- usually surprises them. Why? Butler speaks with what sounds like an Irish accent. But she didn’t acquire it from spending time across the Atlantic. She picked it up at the dentist’s office.

Speaking about her medical oddity on a “Today” show segment, Butler explained that she went in for a surgical procedure about a year and a half ago. The funny voice she was speaking with immediately after seemed to just be par for the course, right along with the swelling and soreness. But as time went on and she healed from the surgery, her body returned to normal and the voice didn’t go away.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/05/foreign-accent-syndrome_n_858101.html

Foreign accent syndrome - so, if it happens to me, can I choose a French or Spanish accent? 

tasches

Asked by tasches at 3:10 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Health

• Supposedly there IS a real syndrome, but honestly, I'm not sure I believe in it... I would really need to experience that one to believe it. LOL
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 3:16 PM on May. 5, 2011

• It IS a real syndrome and around 60 people have been diagnosed with it including be able to converse in languages that they have never learned.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:24 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Crazy! I want it!
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 3:26 PM on May. 5, 2011