Could this be true?

According to Detroit's Regional Workforce fund, almost half of Detroiters are functionally illiterate. The report also states that half of those that are considered functionally illiterate have a high school diploma or GED.

How does someone graduate high school without knowing how to read (excluding those that have work done for them for sports drafting reasons)? How does someone take the GED without knowing how to read and actually pass?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 3:22 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• How do I feel bad for the citizens of Detroit? Is this true, I am sure it is. However, I can't say what they did and how they voted over the last 40 years wasn't sure to bring this apathetic and unaccountable young society they have today.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:26 PM on May. 5, 2011

• The percent went up because those who could read saw the writing on the wall and left.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:33 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I live in Metro Detroit, I have no doubt it is true.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:24 PM on May. 5, 2011

• How does someone graduate high school without knowing how to read

Because the only way they don't pass to the next grade is if the parents beg, plead, go to the school board and make a huge stink about it. It eats into the bottom line.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:30 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Schools don't hold kids back anymore. Its all about equality rather than capability, thus, things like this happen. I have seen it in our district as well.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:27 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I remember students in my graduating class that should not have walked across the stage. The school system is set up to push all kids to the finish line even though they aren't ready. I grew up in a very rural area in East TN and I have a feeling this happens in a lot of areas around the country.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 3:27 PM on May. 5, 2011

• It is really disturbing because uneducated people usually end up in jail.

Or democrat voters.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:34 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Sad because I love to read and my kids do too

I love to read too. Before my kindle, I would get small anxiety attacks if I was close to finishing a book and didn't have another one to start. My daughter loves to read and her hubby and kids do also. My hubby is a printer, so looking at print all day all but killed his desire to read and my son doesn't like it either :(

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 8:14 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I'm pretty sure it could.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:30 PM on May. 5, 2011

• it is VERY sad. Isn't that part of the "no child left behind" program?
    Can't read, or do basic math without a calculator. Can't fill out a job application or balance a checkbook.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 3:38 PM on May. 5, 2011