Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

My Boyfriend expected to provide for children that arent his......

I am on Foodstamps for my 2 children ( from a previous marriage I am now divorced, living with my boyfriend and we have a child together). The DTA is stating that I can no longer recieve foodstamps if i dont provide them with my boyfriends income as they need to apply that to my recertification paperwork. My question is why would I have to provide his info If the 2 children Im on the program for are in no way his. He has no obligation to provide for them and I dont expect him to. What are my rights here as I prepare to file an appeal on their decission. I am not on any other state aid, but i only recieve 90 a week for the kids...My SO works his ass off and we still struggle, The FS help us keep up with the rest of the bills. I have filed a modification for the childsupport as 90 is just ridiculous and the EX has gotten a much better paying job since the divorce. If thatnumber goes up Ill be able to go off state aid but until then I really need the help to keep enough food in the house. We have a 10m son and he has a 4yr old son that we also provide for. I cant work because childcare is so outrageous. Anyone have any clue as to what I can do???


Yes we all live together and have from the beginning, just now that we have a child together they are asking for his income as well.


Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • They are assuming that you will be preparing that food for the family you have created for yourself.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:05 PM on May. 5, 2011

  • It's called HOUSEHOLD INCOME.

    Answer by meooma at 4:01 PM on May. 5, 2011

  • all household income has to be counted. sorry no getting around it

    Answer by mykidsmom86 at 3:58 PM on May. 5, 2011

  • If you live in the same house and share both of the incomes then it all counts.

    Answer by aishanabuaisha at 3:45 PM on May. 5, 2011

  • You have to provide them with all income that comes into the house do you all live together? Did you tell them you did? There is nothing you can do, thats the way it works if not all would be getting food stamps that stayed at home while their other half worked outside the home

    Answer by buttonlts at 3:44 PM on May. 5, 2011

  • I looked into FS a while ago and my understanding of the requirements were that income had to be considered for everyone living in the house, so if he lives with you I think that's why they want to take his income into account. I see where you are coming from so maybe you will have luck with your appeal. Are he and his child living with you? Do they know there are two children in the home, not just your one child? Good luck. If they deny your appeal maybe there is a food bank you can go thru in the community, or a church, or the United Way might be able to help, too. Could you qualify for WIC?

    Answer by MaryMW at 3:46 PM on May. 5, 2011

  • if you live together then they count both incomes.

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:46 PM on May. 5, 2011

  • They count all household income, regardless of who's kids are whos. If you are stuggling with bills, I'd take your ex back to court for more child support instead.

    Answer by hill_star03 at 4:06 PM on May. 5, 2011

  • You need to provide that information as he lives in your house, he eats the food you buy, he contributes money to the household/pays bills.....

    Answer by MizLee at 4:20 PM on May. 5, 2011

  • I think that is fair ... my DH has always provided for my son who wasnt his!

    Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:56 PM on May. 5, 2011