Any Speech theripist or people who have delt with this?

DS can say a lot of words but he has issues with words that start with "M". They sound more like "B". I work with him but I wonder if he is hearing it wrong or the way I say it to him is wrong.

Is there anyway I can help him with his "M"?

The words he says wrong are ...
Mommy and mama
Oma
Milk
Monkey
Moon

Liamsmom09

Asked by Liamsmom09 at 3:54 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son didn't start talking at the normal age, but could mimic sounds (sirens, alarms, clicking) perfectly I kind of figured something was wrong and took him to see a doctor. The doctor patted my paranoid lil head and told me to give him time. 6 months later he still wasn't speaking so I took him back and once again the doctor tried to blow me off with the "give him time" speech. I told him to write that he was telling me this instead of doing any testing on my sons charts so in case he was wrong I could do something legal. He started testing right then. Not only did my son have some hearing loss, he has dyspraxia. He was 9 when he was finally able to speak after many years of concentrated therapy. Had I waited longer...it would have delayed his speech.
    Take him in for testing...do research...don't let anyone play it off.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 4:10 PM on May. 5, 2011

• There are a lot of non-hearing loss related speech disorders, so do your homework. My son has been behind in speech and almost every area of development. There is a big BIG difference between behind 'behind" and being "delayed." Delayed means they won't catch up to kids their age. Since my son is only 2 1/2 we're doing early intervention and have been since he was 18 months. He will get the help he needs for as long as he needs it and it might mean speech therapy when he is older. My son substitutes the 'g' sound for 'L' and also makes a lot of other substitutions. There are a lot of resources out there. My relatively small community has a free support group that will help you find testing places and get you in touch with specialists as well as advocate for school help (IEP). Good luck! It's an adventure and a fight, but we have to do it for our kids' sake.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:16 PM on May. 5, 2011

• i try flash cards like from walmart or walgreens they really help
    mommylay

Answer by mommylay at 11:07 AM on May. 6, 2011

• He knows what the things are he just can't /doesn't make the "M" sound when a word starts or second sylable starts with "M". It comes out O - Ba instead of O-Ma. However he can say things like Boom and Liam.
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 11:41 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Have you asked his doc? Ask if you could test him to make sure.
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 12:18 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I have not yet, he has a check up coming up soon. It's only recently that I noticed. I thought he was calling me Babby and Daddy just cuse. Not because he was having trouble saying Mommy.
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 9:09 AM on May. 7, 2011