Anyone else feel like this?

Hi ladies. I am 15 weeks along with our first baby. My husband and I were so excited to conceive. We are older (he turns 40 this year), and have been married for a year. We really think we are "as ready as possible" and will be good parents.

What I am about to say sounds terrible. I am hesitant to talk about it because it sounds so terrible. I just need to know if I am the only one - or is this a kinda normal phase?

I am 15 weeks along, and I have been SUPER sick the entire time. I have lost about ten pounds, even though I have medicine and am closely monitored by my doctors. I keep having to get IV fluids and stuff because I can't keep anything down. I am so sick I haven't been able to do much at all, I need to be near a toilet all the time. This is making me depressed.

I have a counselor now to deal with some of my depression.

Over the past couple of weeks though my depression has turned to panic. I am starting to feel like "what have we done." I feel like maybe having a baby was a terrible thing for us. I feel like I am so overwhelmed and the baby isn't even here. How will I ever be able to take care of the baby?

I want my baby to be born healthy and happy. I want to be a good mother. I want to feel excited and happy... but all I feel right now is sickness and terror.

I want this to be over. I want my baby to be OK, but I also feel like I just can't take one more session of dry heaving.

My doctor tells me this is "extreme" but that she still thinks it is going to end. She says these feelings are normal and don't make me a bad mom.

I still feel like this makes me terrible.

I am so sad and so scared and just don't feel any joy any more about this pregnancy. Is this really normal? Will it really get better?

angelmommy11

Asked by angelmommy11 at 3:57 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You are normal. It WILL get better. Yes, you may be farther extreme than MOST, but, we all have been there if even for a second.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:04 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Hey, I was/am super sick as well. I was in the hospital for 4 days because I couldn't keep anything down. It does get better! For me at least it has. I only get sick a few times a week now and that is when I skip breakfast. Have you tried eating fruit and things like that? It was the only thing that would stay down for me! Just know that things will get better. I didn't think they ever would either. I was miserable. I'm still sick some days and needing to be near a toilet as well but it's sure the heck a lot better than before. I'm 23 weeks now and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! Just take a deep breathe and before you know it you'll have a beautiful baby to love and all this you won't even remember. Hope this helps! Good luck to you!
    oliviahw

Answer by oliviahw at 4:04 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Morning sickness the "extreme" kind (yep I had it) does make you think you will never survive and sometimes it goes away, sometimes it only gets a lil better... but when that baby gets here you will totally forget it. I went on to have 3 more after I had one with the "extreme" sickness. lol

and depression is normal due to the hormonal changes and another thing is the older I was while pregnant the worse my moods were. Cry one minute and be fine the next. Expect that to happen all throughout the pregnancy and about 3 months after your baby.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 4:05 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I was sick bad the whole time I was pregnant I bled the whole time and learned in my 7th month that my body was trying to abort my daughter, when they sent me home I was to look for hamburger like chunks in the toilet after I urinated and if I found some to come back because I was losing her...I was so devastated and sure did not want to go to the bathroom. I HATED being pregnant, I seen so many women that were pregnant when I was and they were so happy and always said they never felt better...I just wanted to pop them in the face, I was miserable....Well I had her a month early and she was not breathing I did not see her for 2 days after she was born due to her having complications and having to be in ICU, but the end is bittersweet she is now 17, gorgeous, biggest heart ever and my best friend. I would of had 10 if I didn't have to get preg to have one. It's all worth it in the end, I PROMISE!!!!!
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 4:10 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I think the panic is tied to your depression. And I do think it will go away- I've experienced it too, though not that bad. The overwhelming feeling is often a sign.

It does NOT sound like a bad parent because (1) you care about what happens to your child and (2) you are even brave enough (and I know what it takes) to get help for your issues!

Never having been through that sort of "morning" sickness, I can't say but I would imagine it is traumatic.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 4:19 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Oh Yea! You are normal. I was sooo sick in the begining of this pregnancy too. I finally found that if I fill a glass with Ice & add water & top it off with lemonade, I feel instantly better. Also try ginger sucking candies. They sell them here at Trader Joe's Stores. They help when nothing else will. Also I think if you increase your B12 vitamin it helps a lot (ask your Dr.) Hang in there. The severe nausea subsides around 16-18 weeks (it does for me). You are overwhelmed because you feel like crap! It goes very fast. Just take one day at a time & remember in the end you get a wonderful surprise! A little miracle! Best wishes & try to keep yourself occupied with something you like to do. Like chat here with us! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:26 PM on May. 5, 2011

• You're normal. Don't worry, its gets better. At about 5 months the sick feeling should subside and you actually feel pretty good. Then you're thrown back into feeling like poop. I'm 30 weeks right now...it sucks. Everything hurts, I feel like a starving beached whale. You'll be alright, you just have to hold on and keep your head up. Babies are wonderful.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 2:02 AM on May. 6, 2011

• yes almost all mom"s feel this way i did too it get better once u have baby & hold it 1 st time & u see what a blesssing it reallly is you be a great mom & he be a great dad hey i think u need a friend to talk to iam here i have two kids e-mail me Barbiedeeharris@yahoo.com u just need a friend
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 5:21 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Thank you, all of you. I really needed to hear those stories.
    angelmommy11

Comment by angelmommy11 (original poster) at 4:13 PM on May. 5, 2011