Weight and cardio

Is it true that you should do your weights before a cardio workout? If, so why.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I've never heard that. I think you shouldn't do arms every day but to break it up by doing cardio everytime you work out and targeting your arms or legs every other exercise day. If you don't want to lift weights or buy them you should try strength training and using your own body weight like with plank exercises.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 4:02 PM on May. 5, 2011

• The workout I'm doing, Insanity, basically combines the two......when I finish with Insanity I plan on doing P90X which will be even more muscle work!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:53 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I think you'll find evidence supporting both - circuit training is a great way to get both in - doing strength training and intermittent bouts of cardio really boost metabolism. I always warm up about 10 min before starting strength and then do a circuit - I move quickly w/o rest or very little rest between sets to keep my heart rate high
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 7:13 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Either order is fine, really. I prefer cardio before weights, but that's me. Burned calories are burned calories.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:17 AM on May. 6, 2011

• The reason behind cardio after weights is this: If you do cardio after weights you are burning that glycogen stores from weight training ALSO, if you do weights after cardio, you are already tired and your form will suffer and injury is a higher risk. I always do cardio after weights. I am a runner, but I am doing P90X now..I've done Insanity, P90, Yoga Booty Ballet, Power Yoga, the Shred, and others and I go by the fact that I don't want to injure myself by using improper form due to tired muscles.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:31 PM on May. 7, 2011