Anyone here know the legalities of ending lease, military?

DH, the kids and i are moving out of state. His ETS ends Aug 22nd but our lease off post at our apartment ends July 15th. well we have no where to go and live until august 22nd. Only place to stay is on post lodging but thats expensive and wasting money. Plus i cant live there for over a month with 3 kids, ages 5, 7 and 16 months old at that time. we cant do month to month because its like 1300-1400 a month. My husband ets was nov 1 but his terminal leave is now august 22nd because he has ets leave days. counting back its august 22nd and transportation comes early august to pick our stuff and ship it to our families house. I dont know why the army cant just let him go July 15th. all the money we have will go lodging and we cant do that. thats A LOT OF MONEY. we need that money to drive back to los angeles, gas, food, hotel. idk what to do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Thats tough since your lease ends a month before that. Can you and the kids move first and have him follow? Then maybe he could stay with a friend. Does the lease have a military clause? Could you sign a new lease and then present orders like two weeks later??
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:14 PM on May. 5, 2011

• as much as i hate to say it and as an ex military person myself, it might be better if you and the kids left early (hopefully you're going near family) and he talks to his first sergeant or commander and sees about temporrily living in the barracks if that's an option. leases are tough and they unfortunately can charge you more on a month to month. sorry i couldn't help you more, i knw that it's probably not the answer you wanted to hear
    tiredofclicks

Answer by tiredofclicks at 4:15 PM on May. 5, 2011

• we cant leave early, how is that even possible? we have one car, i dont know how to drive or have a license to drive (i dont drive because i have anxiety and i DONT KNOW HOW). we cant live on the lodging on post. its almost 90 dollars a day for a family suit or a room with a little kitchen. and i dont know if they will keep my husband on barracks.My husbands unit leaves this july to deploy. the only way i can leave with the kids before DH and he stays with a friend is if my mom and grandpa pick me up but they dont have money to drive from los angeles to WA state. they can take turns driving but i have 3 kids who all use car seats. so there would be no room. They would need to win the lottery to rent a VAN so my clothes, the kids clothes, stroller, and enough room for 3 kids and 3 adults to fit. then my husband would be traveling ALONE from WA state to LA and he could fall asleep on the wheel. he cant stay up like my grandpa
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:19 PM on May. 5, 2011

• drinking coffee. my husband fall asleep quick.
    Anonymous

• Ugh no we cant sign a lease and break it. the leases are for 1 year only. and why would anyone want to pay for rent past a certain date? im trying to save our paychecks not keep paying for water, power, rent, and comcast cable. all those things would finally go away and we will have a ton of money left over.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:21 PM on May. 5, 2011

• OKAY!!!!!!!!!! Most leases have a military clause that allows you to break a lease when you have orders. Separation orders are orders. Read your freakin lease. AND we don't know your exact situation. We are throwing out ideas. Sorry that you can't drive and your family can't afford to help. But I know the Air Force pays for the family to get back to Home of Record....even if that is plane tickets. So maybe you could fly home with the kids.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:27 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Shaken1976- why does it seem like your yelling at me and being so rude. First off i was never rude in any of my posts. Two i know about the military clause but the issue isnt breaking the lease early. its the fact that the army isnt letting my DH out earlier then August 22nd. the lease ends JULY 31st not July 15 like i mentioned. I had to call the apartment and ask if it was july 15th or not. His ETS is August 22nd and DH is saying they cant make it earlier. I was just coming on here to ask PEOPLE who know the legal side to it. We cant leave earlier or anything because the apartment manager is telling me we have to pay all of august $1395 if we want to stay past julu 31st and i think thats Bullshit. Transportation comes when it comes. we cant get them here earlier and its stupid.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:15 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Not being rude. I have been in this situation before. I am a military member. Have you read your lease to see if there is a military clause? If there is you can sign a new lease, then show your orders, and you should be able to break your lease.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 6:21 PM on May. 5, 2011

• If you don't have a military clause, you are going to be stuck paying. Sucks I know. A lot of rental places know exactly what loopholes the military has and they take great effort to close them. That's how it was in Virginia Beach.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:25 PM on May. 5, 2011

• OMG Shaken1976. Do you not get it? The lease ends before he gets out. Why would i ask the manager to give me a new lease for a month. you cant do that. what is the point? to save $195 bucks? i pay $1200 rent now and he wants 1395 for the month of august. there is no where for us to live other then lodging and thats $90 dollars a day. More then staying here at the Apartments. its not the other way around where he gets out of the army earlier then his lease ends. My lease ends July 31st and his ETS is August 22nd. And to be honest i dont know where the lease agreement is. I called the manager and he didnt help me one bit. Last week he said he was going to let us not pay for 2 weeks so we can save money and when we talk on the phone he told me nothing about it. hes a jack ass to begin with.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:45 PM on May. 5, 2011