Is there any way to lighten heavy periods?

I've had heavy periods since I was 15 and I'd sort of forgotten how bad they were as I had my children reasonably close together and breastfed my last up until I got pregnant so only had one light one. Well this time they've come back with a vengeance, they're so heavy I'm light headed and sick like I used to be and fainting becomes a real issue.

We're religious and do not use conventional birth control, so I was wondering whether there was any other way to lighten it, perhaps naturally as I'm not into the idea of the pill anyhow. If not I'd obviously have to consider it if these go on always.

aishanabuaisha

Asked by aishanabuaisha at 4:11 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Health

• uterine ablation is the only way I know

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:13 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Here is a bump...... I have never heard of one. I went on the pill because of the same problem after i had my babies. They were more brutal after for some reason & no one should suffer like that. The headaches alone were so annoying & made me miserable. Idk if you are religious you may be stuck with it naturally.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:14 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I wish! My periods have been SOOOOO heavy since I quit bfing my last child- like bleed THROUGH a ginormous super max tampon in a couple hours. I hate it.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:17 PM on May. 5, 2011

• try to stay away from foods with iron. Salad, watermelon, shrimp, etc...that will make your periods MUCH heavier.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 4:17 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Aww, I feel your pain lovingmy4babies! I have to set at least 2-3 alarms during the night so I can keep changing maxi pads otherwise I soak everything!!!
    aishanabuaisha

Comment by aishanabuaisha (original poster) at 4:18 PM on May. 5, 2011

• If you can find a feminist organization that does menstruation extraction, that may help, but they are difficult to find.

Exercise can help as well, running has helped mine.
    Anonymous

• Thanks all the answers so far, I will definitely try staying away from certain foods in abundance and will try some serious exercise!
    aishanabuaisha

Comment by aishanabuaisha (original poster) at 4:28 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Ibuprofen. Start taking it a couple days before you start your period and throughout the duration of you period. Ibuprofen decreases release of prostaglandins, which in turn alleviates cramps and lessens menstrual blood loss. Dependent on how heavy your period is, it may not help. Doesn't hurt to try though. Especially if you're not into birth control. Also, if you have major blood loss, be sure to take multivitamins with iron. Or make sure you are getting enough iron through your diet. You don't want to become anemic and then be exhausted all of the time as well!
    RNMomO3

Answer by RNMomO3 at 4:32 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My DD just had surgery for a complete cleaning out more than a D&C to stop her heavy periods. I'd ask your OBGYN about some suggestions and see if you can get any help there. The Dr. told her she's feel like a new woman she's have more energy, be less tired, etc. so at least ask.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2011