Mirena?

I'm looking for a new birth control because my husband has decided he doesn't like the Nuva Ring, which I like. My gynecologist recommended the Mirena. I like the idea of it but I'd like to know personal stories from people who have used it. I can not remember to take the pill everyday so that's not an option for me. I've never heard anything good about the Depo shot so I don't want that. My husband actually told me earlier to ask the doctor about getting a hysterectomy. I told him I don't think that's a surgery you can ask to have unless it's necessary. He's obviously adamant about no more children so I need something that's going to work, other than abstinence.

dmdblleb

Asked by dmdblleb at 4:17 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Health

• They can shorten/move the strings if the guy can feel it. OTOH, if you feel the strings, you know it's there!

I had it. It wasn't perfect, but ti wasn't terrible. I had some cramping that never really went away, and instead of a semi-regular period, I had out-of-nowhere spotting. Less bleeding, yes, but also less predictable.

About half the people I know like/loved it and half disliked/hated it. But then, most of us disliked pills and other forms of BC, so overall it's better. As long as you ensure it's in there right and doesn't come out, it is supposed to be mroe effective than having your tubes tied.

There is also a fairly new procedure called Essure that is like having your tubes tied, but in the OB office and non-surgical.

If you look them up online, all you will get is horror stories. But look up other pills you take- there are horror stories for EVERYTHING including the tubal. Try it and remove it if you want?
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 4:40 PM on May. 5, 2011

• IT was nice, however, no that i'm TTC it's taking so far a month.. Dh could alot "feel" it while having sex.
    steph_twins

Answer by steph_twins at 4:21 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My mirena was wonderful for the first 2.5 years! No problems, except that my partner could feel the strings often. Then I started feeling like my cervix hurt, like the mirena was poking it or the strings irritating it, something. I went to my doc and she said it looked fine, but honestly I'd been researching potential side-effects and wasn't thrilled with them so I decided to have it removed anyway.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 4:35 PM on May. 5, 2011

• He could feel the Mirena?
    dmdblleb

Comment by dmdblleb (original poster) at 4:23 PM on May. 5, 2011