Anyone rescue a kitten and have to bottle feed?

My friend found a few kittens yesterday under a crane at her work. They are about 4 weeks old. Anyone ever have to bottle feed a kitten. What was your experience like??

voni681

Asked by voni681 at 4:27 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Pets

• it was HARD! We got up every 3 hours and fed the little guys warm goats milk.
    Anonymous

• Yep. Every few hours you need to feed them. You need to make a special formula for them. We got our recipe from our vet, and when I looked online they all seemed a bit different than the one the vet gave us. You may also need to stimulate their anus. Fun. Mine was found with a goopy closed eye and we put a damp cloth on it until we were able to clean it.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Many times. You have to feed them about every three hours. Keep them warm with a heating pad and stimulate them to go to the bathroom. It is not very hard but if it is time consuming especially if it is a large litter and if you have never done it before it can be challenging. I prefer to use a syringe when I bottle feed over what they sell at the pet store. I also like the pre made KMR.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:49 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I am sure you can call a local vet's office, they have what is called Queen's milk, it is a canned formula for kittens (in case you can't find goat's milk) Don't use a heating pad directly on them, put it under a blanket, in a box (that won't catch fire) on very low. It is like feeding babies, they will get up to feed, and by the time you are done feeding them it will be time to feed them all again LOL! You can try the very small bottles, but they will just chew the nipples off, so use the syringe very SLOWLY and a tea towel to catch the mess. After doing it about twice you will have the hang of it. Don't worry, in about two weeks, you can put them up to a saucer of soft food and they will be able to eat it. If you cannot find a syringe, go to the pharmacy and ask for one from them. Tell the pharmacist what you are doing, he will have something you can use, I am sure! Good luck!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:11 PM on May. 6, 2011