IVF ADVISE

History: when I was 17 I had my right fallopian tube and ovary removed because of a cyst. I had my son shortly after. In 2008 I had an ectopic pregnancy in my left fallopian tube, which is now completely blocked.

I had my first appointment with our RE yesterday. She decided is would be to risky to try and repair that tube because ive already had a tubal pregnancy, that in her opinion if w repaired it she does not believe that I could have a successful pregnancy. So she recommended IVF. THANK GOD my husbands insurance covers unlimited IVF and 10, 000 in infertility. I feel so blessed by God that he has allowed us with this option.

So I was just wondering if someone can run me through on what I should expect from this, what will be happening during the time we are trying, what procedures will be done. What happens when you actually have IVF done, what is expected. Will you have to take time off work. How is the procedure preformed. How many women have had success? How many cycles did it take? Please any info you all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Kambrosino07

Asked by Kambrosino07 at 4:32 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Bumping in hopes of an answer for you! I don't know enough about IVF to help... Best of luck to you! :)
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 4:38 PM on May. 5, 2011

• They do blood work every time you go in. First you go on birth control pills to regulate your cycle. Then you go in as soon as your period starts. You start injections, A LOT! You are monitored every few days with blood work & internal ultrasounds. The drugs you take make your body prepare many eggs for retrieval. When the eggs are matured enough you get an injection of HCG and go in for retrieval the next day. For retrieval, you are put under anesthesia and it take a few minutes to retrieve the eggs. At the same time, your DH gives his sperm. (He will do it himself in a cup). Then they take your eggs & combine them with his sperm. You go home & wait a few days for the embryos to fertilize & divide. Not all will succeed. Then they let you know how many viable you have. You go back in & they implant the embryo(s). You continue injections of Progesterone to assist in the survival of the embryo. 2 weeks later you know!
    Anonymous

• Cont: 2 weeks later you know if it took by blood work. You have to go to an injection class with your DH to learn how to give injections since you take many of various drugs & size needles. I also recommend PGD ask your DR. It screens out genetic abnormalities & gives you a better chance of conceiveing. Additional cost is about $6,000 out of pocket. I did IVF with PGD twice. 23 eggs retreived each time. 2 were viable each time. The first time it did not take. No pregnancy. The second time (from beginning to end again) it worked! I have a healthy child. Surprise! I am pregnant again with another baby naturally! It was a miracle. GL!
    Anonymous

• anonymous: thank you very much!!!!so i have a question when they implant the embryos, what exactly happens with this procedure what do they do should i take that day off work, and when they do the egg retrival should i take the day off work? im having a hysterogram on the 16 to make sure my uterus is all good do you know if its anything like a hysterosalpingogram i had that done and it was not fun at all andpretty painful, so i stayed home from work
    Kambrosino07

Comment by Kambrosino07 (original poster) at 4:54 PM on May. 5, 2011

• your awesome anonymous thank you so much you have been extreemly helpful with explaining everything, my biggest concern is work i dont want to take adavntage but they are willing to work around appointments and procedures. did you work while you had this done??? if so about how many full days did you take off??
    Kambrosino07

Comment by Kambrosino07 (original poster) at 4:58 PM on May. 5, 2011

• The day you have the embryos implanted you SHOULD take the day off. RELAX, watch TV & take it easy. I think they said you can resume a normal routine the next day.But I would not work out, jog, walk far etc. for a week or two. That's my personal opinion. The point is that you want to optimize your success so try not to stay on your feet a lot. Go right home & put up your feet & pamper yourself! You do not go under anesthesia again for implantation. I never had the test on the uterus that you are describing.

Anonymous

• Yes, I worked full time. Your appointments will be very early in the morning so your DH can go. Around 7 or 8 am is standard. I went before work with my DH every time. Morning appointments are standard. You don't go at night because they are constantly monitoring your blood & changing meds accordingly. They take you fast at the Dr. and your DH gives the injections in the evening in your belly and hip. I took off for retreival & a few days for implantation.
    Anonymous

• welll thank you so much you have been completly helpful !!!! i am very thankful you answered my questions!!!
    Kambrosino07

Comment by Kambrosino07 (original poster) at 5:06 PM on May. 5, 2011

• thank you that was what i was wondering. you have been helpful and congrats on you babies !!!! and how miraculous that you concieve naturally!!. may i ask why you ened up having to do ivf???
    Kambrosino07

Comment by Kambrosino07 (original poster) at 5:08 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Best wishes!! :) It is TOTALLY worth all the effort!!
    Anonymous