Tooth turning brown?

So sometime last month my little superhero took a flying leap off his bed and smashed his face into his dresser. He bit a hole entirely through his bottom lip, but his teeth were all normal looking: not loose and no more chipped than they were to begin with.

I noticed last week that his front tooth, the one I'm pretty sure actually punctured the lip fully is turning an icky brownish color, like he's been smoking lol. It's still not loose and doesn't bother him so why is it turning brown?

Slinkee

Asked by Slinkee at 9:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That happened to me when I was about 4. I jumped off my 3-wheeler toy onto a concrete step and landed on my mouth... My tooth eventually turned grayish, but the dentist said to just let it fall out when it was ready and the new tooth would be OK. Check with your dentist just in case though.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I would call a dentist in the morn
    Anonymous

• he could have damaged the root when he had the mishap. get it checked by a dentist.
    Anonymous

• That means it is dead. He will probably have to have it pulled. The sooner you get him in the better.

Btw. I did that exact thing when I was little lol. I was jumping from the dresser to the bed and I smacked my face on the end and my tooth went through my lip. I still have a scar lol.
    Anonymous

• Yes to anon 8:16. The root was damaged and the tooth became dead. The new one that will replace it will be fine. My MD had the same thing happen.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 9:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• The tooth will have to be removed, it is brown bc the root was damaged. You should call a pediatric dentist soon.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2008