Learning spanish through spanish tv shows???? (UPDATED QUESTION)

My son is almost 4 (in June) and I really want him to learn spanish and I don't know it to teach him. I can't find any spanish classes for his age in our area and the private school he will start for kindergarten doesn't teach spanish either.... so...... can I help him at all by turning on tv shows like Dora or Diego that are in spanish? Can kids learn anything that way?

I guess I need to clarify- I mean letting him watch shows ENTIRELY in spanish- sesame street, dora, whatever is on the local spanish channel that are kids shows.  I won't understand a lick of it but thought he might somehow pick up on it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yeah, kids learn some by watching dora and what not.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:39 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My DD has picked up quite a bit of Spanish form Dora BUT it is limited. You are better off looking in to the Muzzy program it is pricey but more geared towards teaching fluency and not just a few select words.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:40 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Yes. One of my daughters Spanish teachers told me she learned Spanish from watching TV when she was a kid. It's been a while since my kids were little, but I bought them a "Jump Start Spanish" PC game. Blues Clues also came in Spanish "Pistas del Blue"

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:58 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Of course they can. I think Dora is perfect for that. My daughter watched it when she was younger and learned a few things. I'm latin though so we also taught her by having regular conversations.
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 4:59 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Those shows only teach a fraction of simple Spanish. Now, my DH and I are teaching our kids Spanish, and we let them watch Dora and Diego to help them. I think those are great shows and they are fun to watch and fun to watch mt kids watch them. If you want to help them, get a "Spanish for Dummy" books or something like that. They might even have books just for kids in the library. Also, all of you should learn a new Spanish word a day. But, yes, Dora and Diego are great shows for kids.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 5:01 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My reply stands. Yes.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:44 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My LOs don't speak English..... I need to start but we always speak spanish so.... I'm kind of in the same boat
    But Dora isn't a enough if you want him to be fluent
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 10:48 PM on May. 5, 2011