My cat is always hungry

I feed him dry and wet food but his always looking for food, I always have to keep kitchen door locked and I have to lock him away when we are eating, his always trying to get food off my dd and is crying alot. His always getting fat. Is something wrong or do I just have a Garfield??

DawnLauren

Asked by DawnLauren at 4:51 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Pets

• Cats have brains that are small and they become conditioned easily. If the cats been getting overfed it will continue to expect to be overfed. You have to just stop feeding it so much and eventually it will calm down and eat normally.

Answer by gemgem at 4:57 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Some cats are just pigs in disguise. My childhood cat's favorite past time was eating in fact he used to wake me up in the middle of the night so that I could watch him. But when he got older he developed Hyperthyroidism which basically sends their metabolism into over drive and makes them think they are ALWAYS hungry. Most cats will lose weight though even though they are eating more. However, in Dusty's case he maybe lost A pound. He had this for 7 years before he passed and he held pretty steady on his weight. Grant he was in the 40% of cats that lost their fur. He never liked being normal. Anyway, I have a cat right now that is FAT, we found her litter when they were 2 weeks old and she was not thriving like the others. The vet believes that because she was not getting the nourishment she needed for who knows how long that she now believes she will starve if she does not contantly eat.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:16 PM on May. 5, 2011

• cont.
    I have to free feed my cats because one will vomit if she goes to long without eating and does better when the food is out all day. I have baby gates up that the other cats can jump but my fat one can't. I only leave them open twice a day and that has helped her to get some weight off. She is a work in progress.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:18 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Hast it been de wormed? Might be worms?
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:36 PM on May. 6, 2011

• automatic feeder.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 3:05 PM on May. 6, 2011