Have you ever cut out carbs cold turkey?

did you get a funky lightheadedness? or any other weird feelings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Terrible, terrible headache that lasted for three days.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:57 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I think it makes sense that you'd get lightheaded. Your body needs at least some carbs to help you digest the fats and protein and to break down stored fat in the body. So no carbs means no fats or proteins which then means no energy.
    Anonymous

• That lightheadedness and other "weird feelings" such as feeling hungry, cold sweats, shaking, slurring speach, feeling faint is actualy Low blood sugar ot Hypoglycemia and you need a fast acting carb right away or you could go into a coma. It is NOT safe to not have carbs. You can cut out white carbs: rice, bread, potatoes, pasta but you need healthy carbs from whole grains in order to survive!!!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:01 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I agree with Mom2Jack04...I would be concerned about hypoglycemia if you took it down to zero quickly like that. I did do a huge reduction in my carbs once and was freakin miserable and hungry all the time. I really felt hesitant to drop an entire food group out of my diet like that, but a doctor recommended it. Honestly, I dropped a lot of weight right away, but felt terrible, so I would just say to focus on eating healthy food and cutting out the EXCESS carbs.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:51 PM on May. 5, 2011

• It's a really miserable thing to do, and extremely difficult for anyone to stick with for the long run. You're better off finding the proper balance of all the food groups and going from there. The brain requires carbohydrates to function, so when you deprive your brain o what it needs, you stimulate hunger to eat carbs, you get irritable, you get headaches, you can have low energy, the shakes, all kinds of fun stuff, or, as in the case of Dr. Atkins, die of a heart attack. I say balance is key. Try a "diet" you can stick to, like eating clean.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:16 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I do low carb, but I didn't start out cold turkey. Also, I still get my good carbs from fruits and vegetables, and occasionally whole grains. Every one is different though, carbs do not give me energy whatsoever except in fruit form. If I have whole grains I'm ready to go to sleep. But for some people it makes them ready to get up and go. If you truly want to do low carb you have to do it gradually, but then someday you will need to incorporate good carbs back into your diet. Never go cold turkey. Good luck to you!
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 3:48 PM on May. 7, 2011