What do SAHM do all day?

DH got a new job and we're moving to a different state. I was a teacher and had to quit my job (which I'm veryyyyyyyy sad about). We have a 2 year old and I'm currently pregnant, due in September, so I won't be able to apply for another teaching position for a while.

Now....I've never stayed at home and...I don't know what to do with all this free time. I'm so used to being occupied at work, and then spending time with my LO when I got home.

I'm scared of just going nuts, gaahhh!!!

vanessa5470

Asked by vanessa5470 at 5:03 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I'm not an SAHM, but if I were...I'd make more playdates for my kids, have the house cleaner, do more activities...but with a new one on the way, you will have PLENTY to do with a toddler and a newborn. Good luck!
    Ms.Maricel

Answer by Ms.Maricel at 5:04 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I eat bon bons all day and watch TV lol j/k
    There is plenty to do. As a teacher I am sure you know how valuable volunteer work is? I would look into various schools, preschools, mommy and me groups, churches, food banks etc and see if you cannot find some volunteer time at any of those places. If you plan to go back to work it could be a good networking thing for you as well. You also will have alot of cleaning, time to educate your toddler at home, and one on one time with your kids.

Answer by gemgem at 5:05 PM on May. 5, 2011

• You spend time with your kids. Take them all the places that you where only able to take them on the week end. You keep your house clean help at the school. Honestly I am busier as a SAHM than I was as a working mom at least when I worked I got 30-60 mins for lunch where people where not screaming for my attention.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:05 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I'm busier as a SAHM than I was when I worked for a short while. Trust me! I find there's always something nagging to be done and I never get a break. Just plan TONS of activities to do with your children, I'm looking forward to the summer heat!
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 5:07 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Is this a serious question! Why don't you post again in September after baby number 2 arrives and let us know what you've managed to do with all your "free time". SAHMs do the same thing as child care providers- they just dont get paid... And they clean, cook, take children places to be socialized, and educate their children.

The worst part of being a stay at home mom? People think you are uneducated and lazy, sitting around all day with tons of free time and nothing to do...This isnt the case.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 5:10 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I am a 23 yr old stay at home mom of 3 kids i have 2 kids of my own ages 4 (almost5) 2 and my 12 yr old niece lives with us i am busy from the time i wake up til the time i go to bed even while sleeping my dreams are about what needs to be done the next day ........ but we also have a small hobby farm and after i tend to the house myself and the kids tend to the animals and yard ...( we have goats chickens, potbelly pigs, rabbits, cats ,dogs, guinea pigs, 2 horses a pony and a small herd of cows ) so its never ending
    kelbel05

Answer by kelbel05 at 5:11 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Omg!! You will be plenty busy believe me.cleaning,cooking,laundry,kids and whatever else there is around your house to do.It never ends.My day just keeps going and going and..............
    mammaangelof4

Answer by mammaangelof4 at 5:12 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Thank you, bloomsr!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:13 PM on May. 5, 2011

• The same thing your daycare does all day, except you won't get paid for it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:16 PM on May. 5, 2011

• LOL....Free time? holy cow. Are you in for a big shock!!!!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:17 PM on May. 5, 2011