S/O question for teachers about the effects of social promotion?

This is a spin off of the question about nearly half of Detroiters being functionally illiterate.

After reading a link provided about social promotion, I was wondering how many teachers feel that the following point criticizing social promotion is felt in their classroom?

• It forces the next teacher to deal with under-prepared students while trying to teach the prepared
  • *this question isn't just for teachers I was just curious how they feel about that point. 

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 5:03 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Sorry about my rant. I am just really frustrated. I actually never would have thought in a million years that I would homeschool my children, but after my experience, there is no way in hell that I would feel comfortable sending my children somewhere that there are no standards for academics or behavior. I used to think that homeschoolers were afraid of what their children would be exposed to (other cultures/religions, sex, drugs, etc), but the reason *I* am homeschooling, is because I want my kids to have aggressive standards and be able to advance on merit and their abilities rather than "timing out" of a class.

I truly feel that "no child left behind" should be called "nobody gets ahead"
      Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:40 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I for one HATE IT!! This is one of the consolations of Bush's No Child Left Behind law...UGH!! As teachers, the pace at which we teach--and every teacher regardless of class make-up must teach at the SAME PACE--means we teach to test and not to proficiency. No longer are children (especially those with IEPs or 504s) held back for immaturity or failing grades. Summer school is optional or no longer required. The ONLY people who can request that a child be held back are the parents...and far too many of them have taught their children that there are no repercussions to poor performance, so that's a joke!

So, we're (as a whole) turning out students who "feel good about themselves" but are severely lacking in academic skills, and as a result are not going to find gainful employment! And don't even get me started on the attitude and disrespect the students display that comes with that "I'm somebody" attitude! Ugh!
      LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:23 PM on May. 5, 2011

• QuinnMae...I'm not ancient either, I am 28, and that is exactly how it was when I grew up, but my parents were also down there working WITH the school, BACKING UP the teachers, and making sure my butt stayed in line and on track with my education.

Now, as a teacher myself, I can tell you that so much has changed. We now have our raises based on our kids' performance, near constant behavior issues due to lack of support from administration and parents, and in my district, we are pretty much FORCED to provide students with endless chances to succeed, because holding them back is no longer an option. There is no such thing as "failing a test," because after they fail, they get to go back and correct the test with their books to get a better score. I grade and re-grade and enter and re-enter grades CONSTANTLY, because rather than raising the bar on education, they have lowered the requirements to "succeed" and what you end cont.
      Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:24 PM on May. 5, 2011

• up with are kids "advancing" without having learned anything until they have "advanced" out of the system! The disruption and poor behavior really does get passed on to the next grade's teacher because nobody has the authority to stop it anymore.

If I had my way, and was able to teach the way MY teachers taught, and the way I was delusional enough to think I WOULD have been able to teach while I was pursuing my degree...I would be sending kids out of class when they were disruptive...because I think the other kids in class have a RIGHT to an education. Instead, I have to send the child down to the office with a completed form detailing three things I tried while s/he was in class engaged in the behavior, which takes even more time away from the other kids. I would offer tutoring for half an hour before and half an hour after school for those who were interested in taking their school work seriously, and that coming to the
      Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:29 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I think passing a student that shouldn't be passed is what a lazy teacher does and principals need to do a better job of holding teachers to a high standard

This isn't something teachers just do. It's district policy that entire school districts enforce on all teachers and all students, even if the student, teacher and parent all agree they should be held back. They still refuse to hold them back unless the family petitions and fights for it.
      NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• tutoring would be a condition of the ability to RE-TAKE the test...rather than correcting it with the book. There would be a zero for any late assignment that was not due to absence or discussed with me in advance (as in...it is due on Friday...not by the end of the semester/unit/whatever), and in a perfect world, parents would back me up thinking that this resembled something a bit closer to what their "baby" would see in the real world rather than coming in to tell me how awful a teacher I must be because the child is failing.

It is so far out of whack right now that I could just pull my hair out. It really does prevent GOOD teachers from doing the job they set out to do. I don't know how many of MY teachers, GOOD TEACHERS, who are now my coworkers, that I have heard say that every year they consider retiring knowing what they're signing up for by teaching another year. It is sad.
      Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:34 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I'm not a teacher, but I hate the learning based on the test. I am constantly picking up the slack with my boys..especially with math. I am not blaming the teachers..especially considering here they now have 40 kids to the class. Testing is also frustrating because my 9 yr old spec needs child doesn't test well. He makes straight A's in the work, but tests are not like the work. To begin with they are all computerized and then they change the wording up..like for addition problems they will say find the "value" instead of the word sum that is used in the classwork.

I think the govt needs to get out of the classroom and leave teaching to teachers.
      yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:08 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Honestly, I have only had, in the 3 years I have been in my position, about 2 parents come in to help...and they were WONDERFUL!! One was the parent of a highly special needs student, and as such, did help mostly with her own child, but lord, that freed up some of my time and attention for other students. The other wanted to make sure she knew what was going on in the classroom so she could help her daughter more at home and was involved with every student in the class. Whether they worked with one student or all, I can't complain!

I don't mean to sound like all parents are uninvolved or are "working against us", because there are a lot of great parents out there and BOY do I appreciate them!
      Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:20 PM on May. 5, 2011

• We don't promote 'socially' in our school system. The student has state and local standards to meet. I guess that is why we have 16 yo 6th graders. I think a student should be held back once in elementary school and once in middle school. If a student isn't going to work, that student doesn't start working just because (s)he is getting ready to be in the 6th grade for the 3rd time. Now, you have to worry about age appropriate placement. I don't think I want my 11/12 yo in class with a 16 yo.
      jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:00 PM on May. 5, 2011

• what ratio of students on average do you think are under-prepared for the grade level they are in? It's got to be hard as a teacher to not not have control over that stuff. How much time is spent getting the unprepared students up to speed and what ramifications does that have on the ability to keep the prepared students engaged?

***
      Based on meeting state standards (we give grade appropriate comprehensive Pennsylvania state assessment exam in reading, math, science and writing), and of a 5th grade student body of I believe 480 students, about 60% were at or above meeting state standards--that left about 40% at basic or below basic levels for their grade!! And I work in a middle to upper middle class district!

As a result those students are pulled out for small group or individual instruction (mostly the kids I work with). Those students receive 3-8 hours remedial instruction per week when they're pulled from their class.
      LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:22 PM on May. 5, 2011